Unreadable name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreadable name

So I've got something that needs some helpful eyes casting over it. I've looked in the Wiki to find out to do it but can't seem to find a suitable phrase which explains it to me in plain english. Tried "how to upload file" and variants on that theme. Then I used the paperclip in this message box and uploaded the file - where it uploaded to is a complete mystery. Apologies if it's ended up somewhere weird.
    Conclusion: - think I'm suffering from Sunday morning idiocy which is a bit sad as it's taken me a week to get this far!! Help please
    JANE

Jane,
    If you are trying to add an image to your post then the best way of doing it is to use photobucket, which is an external site.
    You need to upload your image from your computer into photobucket, and then paste the link on here.
    This thread should show you how to do it
    How to use Photobucket
    Elaine

Comment

Back from my travels into photobucket and here is my first attempt at an image upload. I tried to resize and mess about but got into a pickle - obviously more practice needed.

What I would like help with is father's name Geo........and where he lives please.

I've manage to track down Frederick's mum through the aunt Annie Hine though Mum is very elusive in the censuses - think there may have been a problem as she was an unmarried mum.

Any help gratefully received
      JANE

Comment

Originally posted by norwayjane View Post
        I've manage to track down Frederick's mum through the aunt Annie Hine though Mum is very elusive in the censuses - think there may have been a problem as she was an unmarried mum.
        Can't make out the father's details.
        Can you tell us what you have found out about Frederick's mother - census refs etc.
        Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 05-10-08, 10:31.
        Elaine

Comment

The place could be Bromley, Kent.
          The fathers last name could begin with E as it is similar to the E in the word England and the last letter looks like a p
          Kathleen

Comment

Sorry about the delay - quick ferrying of children break.

detective work so far:
            Annie Hine 1901:Class: RG13; Piece: 721; Folio: 49; Page: 28.
            Annie Bradley m. Edward Thomas Hine 1892 Maidstone
            Annie Bradley:1881 Class: RG11; Piece: 894; Folio: 55; Page: 25;
            Annie Bradley: 1871 RG10; Piece: 909; Folio: 114; Page: 30 where she is with the Pitts.

From this I assumed that Harriet Pitt was most likely Frederick's mother and have now got the birth cert for Frederick though this gives his dob as 6th Octber 1877 (not the date in the marine record) and she's registered him in Gillingham though he was born in Chatham.

Harriet "disappears" after 1871 though I did see a possible in 1881 RG11; Piece: 893; Folio: 77; Page: 7; though here she is calling herself Roberts. What do you think?

Frederick gives his father's name as George on his marriage cert (though here it's recorded as George Pitt). There is no father's name on the birth cert. Is there any other place you can think of that would record a father's name?

Sorry there seems to be an awful lot in the one message.
            Jane
            Last edited by norwayjane; 05-10-08, 11:10.

Comment

On the marriage certificate, what occupation is given for father George?
              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Kath nr the Crooked Spire View Post
                The place could be Bromley, Kent.
                The fathers last name could begin with E as it is similar to the E in the word England and the last letter looks like a p
                Hello Kath
                Yes maybe an E, I'd been thinking an S and a P,
                Thanks J

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  On the marriage certificate, what occupation is given for father George?
                  "Unfortunately" he's a labourer:(

Comment

.... :(
                    Elaine

Comment

Hi, I think the father's name begins with S and possibly has a t or h (or both) in the middle. My immediate thought was it looked like Sidthorp or something like that. I think the address is Horsham.
                      Margaret

Comment

Really struggling to find anything Jane. I agree that the 1881 Harriet Roberts with son Frederick looks a good possibility, but have done all sorts of name combinations to find a marriage, but nothing showing up.

Not sure what to suggest. Have you tried contacting the Kent OPC for Chatham to see if there is a Harriett Pitt marriage around 1877-1881. Not sure what the Cityark site includes - seems to be unavailable at the moment - have you looked there?
                        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                          Hi, I think the father's name begins with S and possibly has a t or h (or both) in the middle. My immediate thought was it looked like Sidthorp or something like that. I think the address is Horsham.
                          Margaret
                          Thanks Margaret I looked on freebmd to find a Sidthorp and found just one, a girl in 1921. I also tried Sid*p and came up with a single Sidsapp

This one is really tricky - thanks so much for your help so far

Jane

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                            Really struggling to find anything Jane. I agree that the 1881 Harriet Roberts with son Frederick looks a good possibility, but have done all sorts of name combinations to find a marriage, but nothing showing up.

Not sure what to suggest. Have you tried contacting the Kent OPC for Chatham to see if there is a Harriett Pitt marriage around 1877-1881. Not sure what the Cityark site includes - seems to be unavailable at the moment - have you looked there?
                            Thanks Elaine
                            At least I now know it's not just me
                            I've not tried the OPC system before (it's just taken me a while to think what that is - off to investigate)
                            Will attack City Ark later - though I find that site so difficult on the eyesight! And time consuming!! Don't know why I'm moaning though - at least it's all online - most of the time.

Thanks again J

Comment

What date do you think the entry was made on the marine record you have?

It would help if you could look at the reverse side of the original page as the line crossing the name out wouldn't be quite so bold.
                              Margaret

Comment

Looking at the list of places covered by Chatham district,
                                Chatham Registration District
                                there's one called Frindsbury Extra. Could the placename be Frindsbury?

Just looked at image again, 2nd letter definitely looks like an h, so I'm thinking its got to be Th or Sh something.
                                Last edited by Little Nell; 05-10-08, 13:42.
                                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

B*******!!!

I've just tried to send a post and lost my internet connection!

Anyway I think father's name is either Geo or Leo (for George or Leonard, George being most likely. Hard to tell what is a full stop and what is a splodge. Sadly all I can be certain of in the surname is that it begins with S. (though its better to be certain of the first letter than any others)

Have found a Throwley in Sittingbourne Reg district. Throwley is south of Faversham, which is on the A2 running east from Chatham.

BTW Gillingham is in Chatham registration district, so that explains the birthplace.
                                  Last edited by Little Nell; 05-10-08, 13:45.

Comment

Looking at father's name and comparing it with the S in Annie's address, I think it could be an E.

But I've looked at all Geos born Throwley in 1891 and 1901 and can't see any likely candidates. Or at least nothing to be sure of - it could really say anything!!!

Comment

Does anyone know if it's possible to look at the original records at Kew or whether they would take another copy of the original with the intention of making the name more easily read? What I have is a photcopy of the microfilm.

Have found an OPC for Gillingham but there doesn't seem to be one for Chatham.

Jane

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                                        Looking at father's name and comparing it with the S in Annie's address, I think it could be an E.

Geo. may have died after 1906 because the writing in the "when re-engaged" column seems to be the same as the original column. The Annie Hine writing would have been added later, wouldn't it?

Jane

Comment

Working...
                                        X