No announcement yet.

Can anyone help decypher this please..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help decypher this please..

I recieved the other day some more certs...

two of them have discrepancies that I havent come across before, help in figuring this out would be appreciated

and as to 'where' and 'what' is written on this cert below:

heres hoping
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 04-10-08, 12:13.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Second one
    Wesleyan Reform, district of Ashby de La Zouch in the county of Leicester and Derby .... but I suppose it is the bit above that you really need - almost impossible to read from the scan because of the black line.
    Elaine

Comment

Is the first word chapel ... Wesleyan Reform Chapel
      Elaine

Comment

What are you trying to decipher on the first one - the whole thing or just the addition under their ages?
        Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,

sorry I wasnt very specific about the first one :o

it was the date that is in the age column It has puzzled me greatly as I can see no logic for it... I see that the date is 10 April 1865 but as to why, I have no idea...

theories on a postcard please.................

the second one, I can read "the wesleyan reform chapel ---------- Hugglescote" (at least I think it says Hugglescote at the end)
          Julie

Comment

Did the certificate with the stray date come from the local RO or the GRO? It seems odd that an amendment was made after the event without the reason being recorded somewhere.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Perhaps he forgot to put the ages and added them later? Or changed the bride's age, which looks a bit messy.

Comment

Julie I have had a wee look at this and tried to make sense of it but I'm afraid I have no idea.

I was wondering, although this is probably useless info as you prob already have it, if the Sabina on the cert may be the same Sabina showing on the IGI.

Christening: 9th Nov 1841 Melton Mowbray, Leicester.
                Mother: Mary Ann Robinson.

I wondered if maybe she was born 10th April and wasn't going to be 23 until that date the following year but then I'm sure they wouldn't have bothered putting 23 as her age they would have just put 22.
                With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                  Did the certificate with the stray date come from the local RO or the GRO? It seems odd that an amendment was made after the event without the reason being recorded somewhere.
                  UJ, I sent for it from the GRO as I was ordering alot at once. I am planning to goto LRO next week, so will have a look at the PR and see if that is any different.

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                  Perhaps he forgot to put the ages and added them later? Or changed the bride's age, which looks a bit messy.
                  I dunno Mary, I havent seen anything like it before

Originally posted by BigShaz McCreadie View Post
                  Julie I have had a wee look at this and tried to make sense of it but I'm afraid I have no idea.

I was wondering, although this is probably useless info as you prob already have it, if the Sabina on the cert may be the same Sabina showing on the IGI.

Christening: 9th Nov 1841 Melton Mowbray, Leicester.
                  Mother: Mary Ann Robinson.

I wondered if maybe she was born 10th April and wasn't going to be 23 until that date the following year but then I'm sure they wouldn't have bothered putting 23 as her age they would have just put 22.
                  Yep Shaz, thats her... Sabina was a twin her sister was Emma and Born on 2nd Nov 1841, according to their birth certs the entry number possibly dicatates that Sabina was born first. (there isnt any times given for the girls' birth) So I know that 10th April isnt her b/day.

thanks for having a go though
                  Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                    UJ, I sent for it from the GRO as I was ordering alot at once. I am planning to goto LRO next week, so will have a look at the PR and see if that is any different.
                    I hope the folk in Leicester Register Office are up for a challenge!

Comment

The first one. It seems to me the first unknown word starts with E, and looks like Ellistown, which turns out to be next to Hugglescote
                      Ellistown - Google Maps
                      It's still there if you Google it.
                      Phil
                      historyhouse.co.uk
                      Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                        I hope the folk in Leicester Register Office are up for a challenge!
                        Mmmm yep

Originally posted by keldon View Post
                        The first one. It seems to me the first unknown word starts with E, and looks like Ellistown, which turns out to be next to Hugglescote
                        Ellistown - Google Maps
                        It's still there if you Google it.
                        AHA!! Phil! brill

Now you have said as much it does look like Ellistown Hugglescote

I googled last night, as I wasnt sure where Hugglescote was and noticed that Ellistown was next door so to speak..

I'm chuffed now.. thanks
                        Julie

Comment

Now you'll be able to tell the registrar which marriage register to look in.

Comment

chapel chritidelphian brenda xxx

Comment

no, christadelphians meet in a ecclesial hall, or ecclesial meeting room, not the parish church
                              Jess

Comment

Originally posted by brenmac View Post
                                chapel chritidelphian brenda xxx
                                One certificate says "Parish Church". The other one says "Wesleyan Reform chapel", which is a branch of the modern Methodist church. Christadelphians are a completely different sect.

Comment

Hmmn Uncle John,

well, at least now I can check IF LRO actually have the Wes Ref registers there.... I know who the parents were of the girl that married there.

and Sabina's Marriage with the odd date, well, that should be at LRO too..

so it wont be a fruitless trip
                                  Julie

Comment

I don't know at what point in time (if at all) the Register Office sends old registers to the County Archives.

Comment

Well,

I'm presuming that the pr's for Scraptoft have been filmed and are there..

just not sure about the Wesleyan Reform registers though.
                                      Julie

Comment

My first port of call would be the Register Office (perhaps a phone call first if it's out of your way).

Comment

Working...
                                        X