Canadian Records help needed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Records help needed please

I have just discovered that my gg aunt Mary Ann Wholey (nee Clarke), travelled to Quebec in Canada in 1912, with her husband Robert. With the help of Christine & Wendy, I have found that she appeared to be there until 1924, when she came back to England, returning in 1925 & then making the journey again, to return in 1930. I would really like to try & find out more about her, & particularly when she died & if there was any other family out there. My mum remembers her mother having a cousin/aunt Polly in Canada & i would like to try & find out who she was.
    I am not sure if it is possible to access Canadain bmds or if there are censuses available for that period. All help would be gratefully received
    Lynn

i have two newfound cousins in canada at each end but they wont be on till this afternoon or i could ask them if you have no replies by then i will ask for you brenda xxx

Comment

Thanks Brenda, that is very kind.
      Lynn

Comment

I think some provinces have more online "vital records" than others - either directly as official sites, or indirectly as FHS/equivalents make transcriptions.

e.g.

links sites:

Christine
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 04-10-08, 15:50.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I found the folk in Saskatchewan very helpful.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks Christine & John, I will have a look
            Lynn

Comment

With help from Rootschat. I have now discovered that Mary's youngest son Ernest did go to Canada in 1907 & in 1915 went into the Canadian Expeditionary Force. I checked the CWGC & he seems to have survived.
              I would love to see if he is on the 1911 census & also if there is a marriage in Canada for him
              Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn The Forest Fan View Post
                With help from Rootschat. I have now discovered that Mary's youngest son Ernest did go to Canada in 1907 & in 1915 went into the Canadian Expeditionary Force. I checked the CWGC & he seems to have survived.
                I would love to see if he is on the 1911 census & also if there is a marriage in Canada for him
                I think I've seen some level of Canadian service records online somewhere! Will go and see what I can find.

Christine
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 05-10-08, 16:10.
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Try this one!

Search - Soldiers of the First World War - CEF - Library and Archives Canada

I rather think (as in "will be staggered if I'm wrong!") that the second hit is your man! :D

But perhaps that's the info you'd already found?

Christine
                  Last edited by Christine in Herts; 05-10-08, 16:11.

Comment

This is post #14 of the earlier thread:
                    HI

Found that in 1925 there was a Mary Ann Wholey states she was born in Elingham travelled in 1925. Address whe was going to was noted being De La Rouche Street Montreal she was travelling to the port of Quebec, Canada having lived there sometime between 1912 and 1924 she was noted as being a Housewife. Person whom she had left behind in England was noted as being a Mr Rennie of 229 Markhouse Road, Walthamstowe.

Christine

Comment

Thanks Christine, yes that is the info I'd been given & it certainly looks conclusive. I have found a site that has transcribed the Canadian 1911 census, but have not had any luck finding him on there yet. I really need to find a bmd site, but have had no joy yet.
                      Lynn

Comment

I think you'll find that all Quebec records are in French as that is the official language of the province and I can't find any on line either. Your best bet may be to contact the Quebec Family History Society to see what records are available: Quebec Family History Society - Genealogy and Family History
                        Jenny

Comment

Thanks Jenny, I will give that a try.
                          Lynn

Comment

According to the Automated Genealogy site, there are only 6 people with the surname Wholey in the whole of Canada in 1911 census.

Automated Genealogy 1911 Census Indexing Project

There are many others with names with the same Soundex code though. If your family had strong English accents, it is possible that the Canadians misheard their name. I have found some of mine mistranscribed, but if you imagine the names in a Canadian accent you can understand how errors occured!

It may take some time to to trawl through all the names though
                            My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Thanks Sue, my gg aunt & hubby didn't go out until 1912, it is her son I was looking for & his surname is Rennie. I had a look at that site yesterday & couldn't find him, but his name could easily be mistranscribed. :(

However, I had more joy with Rootschat, a kind member on there found me these 2 sites.
                              BNQ-Collection numérique-Annuaires Lovell's-Accueil
                              Which is a Montreal Directories site, that has Robert Wholey on and even better
                              Bienvenue / Welcome to Mountroyalcem.com
                              a site for Mount Royal Cemetery, which has Mary Ann, Robert, & her son's Ernest & Walter on. I can get more details for only $5 which I think is very reasonable.
                              Lynn

Comment

I now have the 1911 census for Walter Rennie & his family, who apparently went over in 1905, followed by Ernest in 1907 & his mum & stepdad in 1912. Unfortunately I can't buy details of the burials online, I would have to phone Canada & don't think I'll be doing that.
                                There may well be a marriage for Ernest on the Drouin Collection on ancestry, but I would need worldwide to view it. Can anyone help please/
                                Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X