How can I find out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I find out?

I have found that MaryAnn Wilson my 3xgreat grandmother born in 1827 in Whittingham, Northumberland was illegitimate and the daughter of a servant girl.(Ann Wilson) I can't find them in the 1841 Census, but have found Maryann's baptism in the parish register. The place entry it says Lanehead, Whittingham- can anyone enlighten me as to whether this was a house, farm,or something else? I have tried looking for Ann Wilson but have no details of her birth, age etc. Family oral history claims that Ann was very young and was given an annuity! Not sure if this is true of course.
    Any ideas would be welcome.

Ros
    researching Howe, Wilson, Worrell, Howard, Cunningham, Walker, Appleby, Lindsley, Stoker, Longmire

That part of Northumberland was mostly populated with sheep, so it's most likely to be the name of a farm.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks for your response - I tried looking up the name in record cards at Woodhorn but it wasn't listed as a farm and we couldn't find it on any of the old maps either. We also visited the village but apart from the church and a lovely walk we couldn't find anything else.
      Ros

Comment

It does sound suspiciously like a farm, some of them (or the names) survive nowadays but there are many that haven't and few if any records remain.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks for that Glen!
          Do you know if people can be traced through annuities? One suggestion is that Ann was paid off as she was underage. I have found an Ann Wilson aged 26 who is listed as a lodging house keeper in the 1841 census in Hartlepool and there is a MaryWilson listed aged 12. But I think it could be a possibility.
          Ros

Comment

Googling brings up lots of results for Lanehead or Lane Head. Perhaps it was just the end of a lane in Whittingham.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

There are several communities in north Northumberland which thrived when sheep were big business but have slowly faded away. Some have almost disappeared.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Ros.....have you got them in 1851 at all? That would have more info, but little Mary could well be married by then.

Do you know if either Ann or MaryAnn married??

I'll have more time later this week and will look for you if you don't have access to Ancestry. Just keep this thread nudged so I don't forget.

Comment

Hi all,
                  Thanks for your responses.
                  I will certainly look them up on the site you have given Nell. I'm not sure about the farm/ sheep Uncle John, as I think Ann was just a farm servant but I'd like to know what happened to her... and who she was etc. Thanks Libby - there is no trace of Ann anywhere as far as I can tell, but Mary Ann married my elusive sea captain Robert Wilson. They had a son in Alnwick in 1849 his name was william and he died in the Hartley Pit disaster in 1862. In 1851 Mary Ann and William are living in Dovecot, Hartley, Northumberland. Mary Ann is well documented thro the censuses but Robert her husband has only been found on a wedding certificate in 1872. Mary Ann decvlares herself a widow in the 1881 census...... anyway I'm rambling.
                  I am an Ancestry member but not the de luxe one so I can't access the baptism records which might help.
                  Thanks again,
                  Ros

Comment

Working...
                  X