Lunacy Commission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunacy Commission

I have just found a report about the Lunacy Commission into a very distant person in my tree.

It was in 1843 and he was born in 1824 so was only 19 years old.

During the commission he sat next to the his counsel (at his own request) and had a peculiar formation of his head and an idiotic laugh.

From what I can tell from the article he was put into the care of a couple of different Revd's and ran away a few times. He was then found and had cut a boys calves with a table knife.

I feel relieved that this is not a blood rellie and it explains why I have not been able to find him on any of the census. Very sad though.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Hi Tom,
    Its fun finding the skeletons in our closets isn't it. I wish you luck with your teacher training- I have been a teacher for the last thirty years and I love it.
    Ros

Comment

He should still be on the census, probably just under his initials.

Comment

Yes Mary, I've only done a quick look but he is there on the 1881 census in a private Lunatic Asylum.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Tom
          Can you tell me what the Lunacy Commission is please. Is it a searchable site and what areas does it cover?
          I have googled but only got sites that don't make much sense to me.
          (This thread also comes up in google).
          Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Oh I think I've found it! Is it the one called unlocking the past?
            Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Hi Lynne,

I found it reported in The Times and other newspapers. This was probably because he came from a very well off background and the family were very rich.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
                I feel relieved that this is not a blood rellie
                Its a good job that you aren't related to me after all then.
                Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Working...
                X