FTM 2009 marriage notes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM 2009 marriage notes?

I recieved my 2009 FTM and been having a good look around, getting familiar with the new layout (I was using 2005). Tonight I thought I ought to get back to researching and adding some new info, but..

I seem to have lost all the notes I'd previously entered in the marriage notes on my 2005. The facts are there under 'shared facts', but can't find all the notes.

On 2009 it looks like there are only individual notes page for each person and nowhere to put marriage or shared notes? i.e. I like to C&P the ancestry transcription for the household members for easy reference, adding occupations etc. and putting the census ref in the facts. Also I put details about their marriage, witnesses etc.

I transfered my trees accross to my new laptop via Gedcom & memory stick after installing 2009 and I didn't alter any settings etc.

Hope I've explained this properly and someone can help please.
    Sue

On the Notes Tab there are several icons along the top. The first one is personal tab and the second one is research tab. Have you looked in there?
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Yes, I have Wendy. Thanks for your suggestion though.

I've been clicking on all the tabs I could find! and am now starting to panic! Just hope I haven't lost them all!
      Sue

Comment

Well I've just booted up old PC and opened the Gedcom, the one I used to transfer to 2009, in my old 2005 . All my marriage notes are there. So it looks like I have lost them on 2009.

Any suggestions on how to transfer them accross please?
        Sue

Comment

I've looked through "The Official Guide" but I can't find anything in there that helps, I'm afraid.
          Wendy

Comment

Thanks for trying Wendy.

The only way I can think of doing it, is to c&p all my notes into a word doc then put onto mem stick and open on lap top, then c&p again in 2009 (somewhere!). It's going to be a very very long job! I've got 4 trees on the go, with about 800 people in each.

Thanks again.
            Sue

Comment

Wendy, if you're still there or if anyone else is reading this and can help please.
              Can I install 2005 on my laptop without it affecting 2009, will it run indepentantly?

Perhaps I can then have both running at same time and c&p the information accross?
              Sue

Comment

I have 2008 and 2006 installed on my PC and they don't affect each other, so you should be ok.
                Wendy

Comment

Thanks Wendy, hopefully that will make things a bit easier. Off the dig out my 2005 disc.
                  Sue

Comment

Good luck, hope it doesn't take you too long to copy and paste your notes across.
                    Wendy

Comment

Thanks. I might be gone for quite a while! ..lol

But seriously, I hope that this thread will be helpful to anyone else who is upgrading and they'll be forewarned. just hope I don't find anything else missing!
                      Sue

Comment

Hi Sue

My previous FTM was 2006. All of my notes have transferred to 2009. The third tab along on the right hand side section.

Comment

Oh thankyou so much Margaret! I now feel embarassed and a bit dumb :o
                          I thought I'd tried that button!

I've also discovered that by double clicking anywhere in that area brings up the edit box.

Thanks for the help, very much appreciated.
                          Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Crafty Sue View Post
                            Oh thankyou so much Margaret! I now feel embarassed and a bit dumb :o
                            I thought I'd tried that button!

I've also discovered that by double clicking anywhere in that area brings up the edit box.

Thanks for the help, very much appreciated.
                            Can't seem to get that to work on mine

Update, just discovered it. You see, we teach each other.

Comment

lol , glad I could return the favour Margaret

Think I'm trying to do much in one go. Got a new laptop with vista and thought I would also take the opportunity to upgrade my FTM. So I'm on a very steep learning curve!
                              Sue

Comment

Thanks for this tip, Sue - saves me fumbling about, trying to remember how I managed to get it to edit last time!

I keep stumbling across things, then forgetting how I got there - if you know what I mean!

Bee.
                                Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
                                COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                                  I keep stumbling across things, then forgetting how I got there - if you know what I mean!

Bee.
                                  I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that ! :D

I've not tried to set up my printer on this laptop yet (yet more probs??!!) but think I'll print off the some of the help notes. Though sometimes I'm not finding the help menu very helpful.
                                  Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Crafty Sue View Post
                                    lol , glad I could return the favour Margaret

Think I'm trying to do much in one go. Got a new laptop with vista and thought I would also take the opportunity to upgrade my FTM. So I'm on a very steep learning curve!

SNAP, did just the same :D

Comment

Like Sue I seem to have lost my marriage facts when transferring from FTM 2005 to FTM 2009 but unlike her I can't find them :(

I'm in the 'person' bit, highlighting the marriage which is in the shared facts, and on the right hand side it says facts, sources and notes on tabs. When I click the source tab the source info is there OK but the notes tab just brings up an empty box. It's the same on all my marriages. And the notes are definitely there in the 2005 version.

What am I missing!!? (apart from the marriage notes obviously!)

Comment

Lindsay, when you're in the person screen click on the relationships (near the top). Then click on the spouse, on the right you should see a note tab, this is where the marriage facts are.

I've found that its not very good having them there, so am busy transferring them over to the note tab for the marriage fact on the person page.

Oh, that does sound very confusing! But hope you see what I mean
                                        Sue

Comment

Working...
                                        X