Database of coalminers killed and injured at work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Database of coalminers killed and injured at work

Now at The Coal Mining History Resource Centre   - Maps, Poems and Searchable Databases for Mining in the UK

I've found one of my distant rellies on there, crushed by a runaway tub. He died over 3 months later.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Just checked for OH's grandfather. He was injured in 1951 but the website says it only goes to 1950. Shame.

Just had another look, it seems to go to 1979 but no South Derbyshire pits are included
    Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 03-10-08, 19:59.

Comment

Thanks for that link!

I've added it to my favourites and I'll have a good look on there some other time...I have lots of miners in my tree and I live in an area where there were lots of mines so I hope to find something of local interest.

Sandra
      Sandra:smilee:

Comment

Thanks very much for that Kate. Ive found my uncle who was killed in 1907 age 17
        Pam

Comment

I found by ancestor on it. Bit misleading as the town is given as St. Helen's, but that was the name of the Colliery which was at Seaton.
          Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

I see the information on the National Database comes from Ian Winstanley's site. Seems he's retired and passed the site on to a firm of solicitors.

For anyone with mining connections in the Durham coalfield area the following site is invaluable.

Durham Mining Museum
            Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

thank you so much KiteRunner

I found husband's Welsh great-grandfather who died in 1912. I knew he'd been run over by an underground tram as I have his death cert, but the extra info on this site told me which colliery and that there was negligence involved.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

This link is a great resource, and occasionally they give the name of the victims parents which is a bonus. The earlier records give a lot of detail about the accident, also supplying names in a lot of cases. The disaster at Lambton in Durham in 1766 was quite horrific - although they used the word 'meloncholy'.
                Thankyou Kiterunner

Comment

I thought I would do a quick search with a couple of my surnames. A bit awkward with the surname FREED as a lot of the people were freed from the accident!!!

Comment

is it already in the wiki? if not does somone want to do the deed?
                    Jess

Comment

It is there on:

Mining and Heavy Industry - Family Tree Forum

Caroline
                      Caroline's Family History Pages
                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I already checked and saw the site was in there, Jess.
                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I've got it in my Welsh folder in favourites as all the miners are in husband's Welsh side. But as so many of them are called Evans and I have no other evidence they were involved in accidents, I haven't done a speculative search.
                          But I was pleased with finding his gt grandfather Jenkin Evans, as we'd heard from grandfather Ned that his father died in a mining accident. I'd assumed it was a tunnel collapse, or gas escape, but he got run over by runaway underground trams which didn't have a safety device fitted on them to prevent it.
                          I hope to find out more from report of the inquest, but I'd need to use the archives for that.
                          ~ with love from Little Nell~
                          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                          X