Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot find register of death??

Hi

I am trying to find the death certificate for my great grandfather. I know he was born Thomas Henry G Denmead in 1885 (Birth registered in Portsea Island). He was a labourer with the Royal Navy and he has service records up to 1927 and was paid his pension. Since that date I have searched for a death record but I cannot find it. I have been through all the burial records and again there is nothing for him.

I am led to believe he went to a mental hospital since being discharged from the Navy due to a medical condition. The family do not speak of him and it is somewhat a mystery as to what happened to him.

Is there any valid reason why I cannot find a death record? Perhaps he emigrated but I doubt it if he was ill/mad!

Are there any records I can search to give me any further clues?

Sarah

Hi Sarah

If he died in an asylum/hospital his death would have been registered. Was he known by a different first name? Ie if he was Thomas Henry have you checked Tom, Harry etc ?

Failing that if he received a Royal Navy pension, then they would have been notified of his date of death I expect, so maybe it is worth writing to them?

Joanie

Comment

Hi Sarah, welcome to the forum.

I presume this is him

Q/E March 1928 Thomas H Denmead aged 42 Portsmouth page 2b vol 703

It hasn't been transcribed yet on Free BMD or Ancestry so I found it by browsing through the actual pages

Jackie
      Jackie

Comment

Yes it would appear to be him! I can't believe I missed it. Thank you very very much.

Comment

Just out of interest, am I able to browse through the pages myself? I have spent many days down at the library manually searching through Microfiche files. :-)

Comment

Well done Jackie!!

Sarah yes you can browse page by page, sometimes Ancestry misses indexing a death/marriage/birth so if you go to Ancestry Home page, scroll down & click on
            "Go directly to UK Births etc" , then select Births marriages or deaths then input the year & surname then trawl each quarter in turn.

Joanie

Comment

Thank you very much - you have saved me hours of frustration and money

Comment

You're welcome. If you have not got a subscription to Ancestry & pay to view most of the time then that can work out very expensive. Try to use Free BMD first if that's the case, or Familysearch, these are both free sites, then you only need to use Ancestry pay to view as a last resort.

FreeBMD Home Page

FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records

Failing that you will always find help on here ;)

Joanie

Comment

I wish I had found this site a few months ago! I've run out of credits now but you have helped me to get the year of death. I can continue with my search now. Thanks again. Great site btw!:D

Comment

Thank you Sarah, yes I agree it is, & the people are really helpful.

Happy hunting!

Joanie

Comment

Sarah

I've just realised that the info I gave is a bit out - its Vol 2b Page 703 (not page 2b Vol 703). :o

Jackie
                      Jackie

Comment

Working...
                      X