Help reading occupation on 1841 census please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading occupation on 1841 census please

Can someone please help me? I can't read Hannah Buckingham's occupation on the 1841 census. She is on the right hand side.

Class: HO107; Piece 4; Book: 21; Civil Parish: Luton; County: Bedfordshire; Enumeration District: 11; Folio: 12; Page: 18; Line: 14; GSU roll: 241192.

Does it look like "N" for not born in county?

Also does anyone else think that Thomas Tennant aged 15 living with her, could possibly be her son?

Thanks!

Joanie

Gosh, that is difficult to read. I think it might be "mangling". I also think its meant to be N for no in the born in county? column.

It's possible Thomas could be her son, though you'd need to find out more.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Wow that was quick Nell!!

Mangling?!

LOL I am having terrible trouble finding his parents, he always says he was born in Luton on all the later censuses, but he married in St Albans :( and I couldn't find his baptism at Beds RO.

Joanie

Comment

I had a look and agree that Mangling is a possibility. Perhaps she helped out with a laundress?

But, yes, it's certainly a bit faint!

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
        X