Which one is the right one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which one is the right one

Have been trying to link John Brock (b Bradford Devon) to my gggrandmother Drusillia Brock as I think John's information may solve some unanswered questions.

This is what I have.

1881 John Brock age 8 born Bradford Devon, living with his aunt Ann Hearn (nee Brock) in Bradford Devon

1891 John Brock age 18 born Bradford Devon, living as lodger in Bradford Devon with Edward & Drusillia Mathias (nee Brock) my gggrandparents.

There are two possibles on freeBMD.

John Brock b. Dec quarter 1872 - Holsworthy
    John Letherer Brock b June quarter 1873 - Okehampton

I don't think the second one is the right one as have found John L. Brock in the above mentioned census if the L stands for Letherer. But the first one is off by a year if you take into consideration the census dates and his age at that time.??????????

This looks like John Letheren Brock in 1901 he possible married Ellen Wood in 1899.
    Birth place is given as Okehampton so possible not your man if the one born Bradford in 1901 is yours.

1901 John Letheren Brock RG13; Piece: 2143; Folio: 98; Page: 15
    Fiona. xx

Comment

I always allow at least 2 years either side of a quoted census date. I am sure very few homes had a callender and possible recorded birth date thus......

The year of the big storm

When farmer Jones cattle took sick.

My grandfathers` age in the 1881 census is a year out.

Kathlyn

Comment

If you think this could be your John brock looks like he married a Brida Brock in 1898.

RG13; Piece: 2157; Folio: 27; Page: 14
        Fiona. xx

Comment

fiona I am beginning to think that John L is not the right one as well.........

found the other John b Bradford again married to Brida (nee Brock)...lol in the 1901 census again his age would put dob at 1873 not 1872........arrggg...

Comment

snap fiona..lol

Comment

Brida seems to have mystery parents as well in 1881 shes a boarder with an Hetty Brock age 10.
              Fiona. xx

Comment

ohhhhhhhhhh I didn't see that guess I'll order the John Brock 1872 and see what it says. I strongly think that I'll find Johns mother as my Drusillia. She grew up in a workhouse...her birth cert indicates mother as Elizabeth no father listed. On Drusillia's marriage cert it says her father was William Brock - mason but I think that was her grandfather. Drusillia's husbands family were all important clergy so she may have lied about some of her past....lol. Also I think her mother had a unscrupulous past as did a couple of the Mum's sisters....lol

Thanks for your help

Comment

There is a birth reg for Brida in Torrington dist and the only other birth registered same district is for a Clara, wonder if this is Hetty.

Clara in 1871 with father William born Bradford and 1851 William seems to be the son of Mary Brock a single mother of three boys. John 7, William 4 and Joseph 3.

1871; RG10; Piece: 2197; Folio: 42; Page: 14

1851; HO107; Piece: 1896; Folio: 255; Page: 12
                  Fiona. xx

Comment

oh dear that does sound rather ummmmmmmmm inappropriate kinda...lol.

if that's the case and my suspicions are true that would mean that John and Brida were related. Clara (Hetty) is possibly John's cousin and if Brida is her daughter then......well it might be legal.......lol.

Comment

Brida would have been Clara (Hetty's) sister the parents being William Brock and his wife from the 1871 census.
                      Fiona. xx

Comment

Sorry!!!

Back to the drawing board for Brida and Hetty, looks like William and Elizabeth aren't the parents as Clara seems to be with the family in 1881. Sorry.

RG11; Piece: 2256; Folio: 32; Page: 1

No idea who Hetty is, can't find anyone to fit in 1871.
                        Fiona. xx

Comment

okay thanks Fiona......just saw that as well........I still think Brida and John are related thou. will check freeBMD to find something on Hetty as well

Comment

Of course Drucilla would be old enough to be Hetty and Brida's mother.
                            Fiona. xx

Comment

have re-checked freeBMD and ancestry and now can't find birth info on Hetty.....wonder if it's a shortform or nickname as there is nothing to indicate what Hetty would be short for.

in the 1881 census Hetty and Brida are listed as boarders living with John Kellaway. on BMD there is a marriage between Joseph Brock and Lucy Kellaway 1871 that might be a connection as well I'm thinking. That being said the Kellaway's are to old to be Lucy Kellaways parents but possibly grandparents.

Your right Drusillia would be old enough but if John is her son then he would have married his sister....omg....lol

Comment

Do you have a d.o.b for Lucy Kellaway?

There is a Lucy K. Sweek (possibly Sweet) 19 and a 7mth old Laura living with the Kellaway's in 1871.

RG10; Piece: 2197; Folio: 55; Page: 11
                                Fiona. xx

Comment

only Lucy Kellaway I can find was born June quarter 1855 so would have only been 16 in 1871. but then not always registered births on time. Drusillia was born 1852 but her birth wasn't registered until 1853. This is getting rather confusing.....lol

Comment

Wonder if Hetty is Laura Sweet and it was her mother Lucy that married Joseph Brock and Brida is the daughter of Lucy and Joseph Brock.

Haven't found Lucy after 1871 yet though.
                                    Fiona. xx

Comment

1861 Lucy b.1852 with John and Elizabeth Kellaway as daughter.

RG9; Piece: 1500; Folio: 60; Page: 1
                                      Fiona. xx

Comment

found birth for Laura Kellaway Sweet sept 1870 that maybe Hetty as the age is right. can't find a marriage for Lucy with a Mr Sweet thou

Comment

Working...
                                        X