Help with 1851 census please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with 1851 census please.

Emily Mary Campling b 1811 baptised 1818 St James Westminster, parents James and Elizabeth. Nothing else known about parents.

Emily married Edwin Duncan Wilks, sometimes Wilkes , Trinity Church, St Marylebone.

1841 census they are together with daughter Rosa Emily b 1838.
    Class: HO107; Piece 686; Book: 11; Civil Parish: St Pancras; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 11; Folio: 19; Page: 36

Emily divorced Edwin in 1858 citing Rosa Killik.

Rosa Killik was living with Edwin Wilks on 1851 census as Rosa Wilks – wife, although they never married. She had 3 illegitimate children to him between 1838 and 1860 .No wonder he called his legitimate daughter Rosa!! Sneaky men eh? {No offence to our male members}
    Class: HO107; Piece: 1486; Folio: 135; Page: 38

I am looking for Emily Mary Wilkes and the daughter Rosa on 1851 census and forwards.

I have tried looking for her under her maiden name in case she reverted, due to OH's folly.

Rosa Wilkes married 1881 to Julius Hermann is not our Rosa (b Staffs) and wrong bd

Thanks for any help on this.
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 03-10-08, 14:59.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Have tried lots of my less-is-more tricks without any success. Probably find Elaine/Spain has done it whilst I was looking!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine for looking. I know she must be somewhere because of the divorce proceedings, I have those right here.
      Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
        Have tried lots of my less-is-more tricks without any success. Probably find Elaine/Spain has done it whilst I was looking!

Christine
        I did have a look and couldn't see anything either! :o
        Elaine

Comment

I looked too Kat but haven't found anything either.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I've been looking also but have had no luck, sorry
            Pam

Comment

Just thought: is it worth looking for initials - did they end up in the workhouse o r a hospital?

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you all for looking. You could be right, Christine,:(.... However I think her family may have had money, Rosa Killiks family certainly did altho Edwin himself was a Police officer and Victualler at his death. Emily must have had a certain position in life I would have thought to divorce her husband in those days. Rosa Killik continued through to her death in 1909 living by own means/dividends on censuses. Edwin died in 1860 just after the divorce.
                Last edited by Katarzyna; 03-10-08, 20:22.
                Kat

Comment

Katarzyna, there is a huge chunk of the 1851 missing and guess what, most is in the area you (and me !) need.

Comment

I thought as much BC. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. It hadn't crossed my mind it might be that.
                    I was looking for 23 Alfred St near Bedford Square. Would you believe it stops at no 22 on 1851 census!! lol At first I thought it must be in a different parish cutting across the street, but it is only mentioned in the St Pancras parish 11. I haven't found a death or a marriage for either the mother or the daughter:(. I'll keep looking for 1861 or some BMD. in hopes.

xx
                    Kat

Comment

Working...
                    X