Parish Churches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parish Churches

I've got two marriage certs in front of me, one for my paternal G.Grandparents, m1867 and the other for my maternal Grandparents m1902.

For my G.Grandparents it reads "Marriage solemnized at St. Nicholas Church in the Parish of Brighton in the County of Sussex (1867)

I know for a fact that my maternal Grandparents were married at St. Nicholas Church Brighton but it reads "Marriage solemnized at the Parish Church in the Parish of Brighton in the County of Brighton" (1902)

I don't understand why the 1902 marriage doesn't mention the church and refers to Brighton as being in the County of Brighton. Brighton became a county borough lst April 1889 but it's not a county

Can someone help please

La plus perdue de toutes les journees est celle ou l'on n'a pas ri
    Chamfort

The most completely wasted of all days are those on which we have not laughed

Someone else asked a similar question on rootsweb a couple of years back, and the suggetsed answer seems to be that because they were a county borough, they were entitled to call themselves a county.

Re the name of the church, was St Nicholas the oldest church in Brighton? I have lots of certs that infuriatingly just call themselves the parish church, but I suspect that would not happen with the newly created victorian parishes.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

There is this article on wikipedia:

County corporate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
        Someone else asked a similar question on rootsweb a couple of years back, and the suggetsed answer seems to be that because they were a county borough, they were entitled to call themselves a county.

Re the name of the church, was St Nicholas the oldest church in Brighton? I have lots of certs that infuriatingly just call themselves the parish church, but I suspect that would not happen with the newly created victorian parishes.

Thank you so much for your help Phoenix. I've read the Wikipedia entry through quickly but will go back and study it properly

I expect you already know the "My Brighton & Hove" website. This link is about St. Nicholas Brighton which says that it is the oldest building in Brighton.

My Brighton and Hove | Places | Churches and places of worship | St Nicholas, Brighton

It's strange isn't it that in 1867 the Church is referred to by name but by 1902...nix

Chamfort

Comment

Sometimes (I'm aware of Plymouth & W Devon RO, and Oxon FHS) the ROs or local FH socs have County maps showing the parish boundaries.

When the urban centres grew suddenly, a number of parishes were split up. St Peter's in Bushey Heath, Herts, for instance, was built only in the C19th, and used to be part of St James's, Bushey.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Cherry Tradewell View Post
            I've got two marriage certs in front of me, one for my paternal G.Grandparents, m1867 and the other for my maternal Grandparents m1902.

For my G.Grandparents it reads "Marriage solemnized at St. Nicholas Church in the Parish of Brighton in the County of Sussex (1867)

I know for a fact that my maternal Grandparents were married at St. Nicholas Church Brighton but it reads "Marriage solemnized at the Parish Church in the Parish of Brighton in the County of Brighton" (1902)

I don't understand why the 1902 marriage doesn't mention the church and refers to Brighton as being in the County of Brighton. Brighton became a county borough lst April 1889 but it's not a county

Can someone help please
            Are you sure your grandparents married in St Nicholas?

According to the Kelly directory 1902 St. Peter's was the parish church of Brighton. The earlier Post Office 1867 directory names St. Nicholas as the parish church of Brighton.
            Cheers
            Guy
            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
              Are you sure your grandparents married in St Nicholas?

According to the Kelly directory 1902 St. Peter's was the parish church of Brighton. The earlier Post Office 1867 directory names St. Nicholas as the parish church of Brighton.
              Cheers
              Guy

I could well be wrong Guy. I am basing my assumption that in 1902 St Nicholas was the Parish Church of Brighton from my Mum's joke that on her marriage to my Dad in 1935 at St Nicolas, Portslade Village, Grandma was supposed to have said "We got married at St. Nicholas with an "h" " It went down through the years, even to this day when my son got married at St Nicolas, Portslade Village this month and this time it came from me. Maybe it was one of Grandma's plentiful jokes and she and Grandad got married at St. Peter's after all.

Chamfort

Comment

Hello again Guy

I've just had another look at the reference to St Nicholas and St. Peter's on the My Brighton & Hove website and see that St Nicholas was a single unit until June 1873 when..........

You're right and to think we were teased for all those years!!

Chamfort

Comment

Working...
                X