Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Winner of WDWTYA? 2nd October 2008 is.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Winner of WDWTYA? 2nd October 2008 is.....

Bristol Boy!!

Well done Mike

Best wishes - here's hoping for some answers to your problems Mike
    Val

Comment

FOLEY Pre 1851

I am seeking information on Joseph Foley B 1820/1 in Lambeth/southwark. M mary Ann Day 1851 & D 1885 Shoreditch. He was a print colourer. His father was WilliamI have the marriage cert but can't find anything about the Foleys or Days before that,
      Thankyou Mike

Comment

Thakyou for your kind wishes.
        Mike

Comment

Well Done Mike...........

Hope you find what you are looking for !!
          Jacky

Comment

Hello. Wlecome to the site - I hope you're enjoying it.

I've tried lots of my less-is-more tricks to prise Joseph out of the 1841 census, but no success so far. I can see the couple on teh 1851, and their marriage on FreeBMD, but nothing earlier.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

What does it say for William's occupation on Joseph's marriage certificate?
              Last edited by KiteRunner; 04-10-08, 16:43.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

congratulations enjoy your week you will work harder than you have before they are quick lol brenda xxx

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                  What does it say for William's occupation on Joseph's marriage certificate?
                  William Foley was a cooper & Andrew Day (father in law) was a book keeper or book binder
                  Regards Mike

Comment

Sorry, as yet I cant find joseph on the 1841c :o

I'll keep trying..

]

Comment

There is a Joseph Foley living in the parish of Stepney, he born 1821 in Middlesex. He is living with an Elisabeth Foley age 60.

There is a death for a William Foley in St George London Middelsex
                      Last edited by deletejb; 05-10-08, 16:33.

Comment

I wonder if this will is of a relative? (downloadable for £3.50 from The National Archives website)

Image details

Description Will of Patrick Foley, Cooper of Saint Mary Rotherhithe , Surrey
                        Date 12 April 1780
                        Catalogue reference PROB 11/1063
                        Dept Records of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury
                        Series Prerogative Court of Canterbury and related Probate Jurisdictions: Will Registers
                        Piece Name of Register: Collins Quire Numbers: 147 - 193
                        Image contains 1 will of many for the catalogue reference

Comment

Not my Joseph

Originally posted by deletejb View Post
                          There is a Joseph Foley living in the parish of Stepney, he born 1821 in Middlesex. He is living with an Elisabeth Foley age 60.

There is a death for a William Foley in St George London Middelsex
                          This is not the one, as he appears on the 1851 c still living with his mother. At this this time my Joseph is married to Mary Ann.
                          Thanks for looking Mike

Comment

Ive obtained the will,at first glance it does not appear to be helpful but it will need to be looked at more carefully
                            Regards Mike

Comment

If he marry in 1851 ? it won't be the Joseph and Mary Folley with a daughter Mary on 1841 . :(

Could he be abroad with army/navy ?

Comment

Sorry, Mike, I thought I'd already asked this but see I didn't - who were the witnesses at Joseph and Mary Ann's wedding, please?
                                KiteRunner

Comment

This looks like Mary Ann's christening from an "extracted" batch on the IGI, if you don't already have it:

Mary Ann Day, born 25 Nov 1822, christened 16 Apr 1823 St Leonard's, Shoreditch. Parents Andrew Day and Mary Forrest. A few 1823 baptisms picked at random from that batch don't show mother's maiden name, so most likely Forrest is a middle name (or the parents weren't married).
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

Still working on Mary Ann's side of the tree, I see that her birthplace on the censuses is given as Whitechapel or St George's East, and seeing that her sons' names are William, Henry and George, I can't help wondering if this family on the 1861 census could be connected:

3 Edmonds Place, Hoxton New Town, St Leonard Shoreditch
                                    Benjamin Howlett Head Mar 41 Iron Founder Norfolk Skimmington(?)
                                    Elizabeth Do Wife Mar 28 Middlesex St George East
                                    William Day Bro in Law Un 26 Employed in Foundry Do Do
                                    George Do Do Un 24 Out of Employment Do Do
                                    Henry Do Do Un 20 Iron Sander(?) Do Do
                                    James Howlett Son Un 13 Scholar Do Chelsea
                                    Walter Do Son Un 4 Scholar Do Bethnal Green
                                    Mary Day Mother in Law Wid 56 Do Stepney

This is them in 1851 at 29 Old Gt Lane (?), St George in the East:
                                    Mary Day Head Widow 47 Butcher Middx Stepney
                                    Elizabeth Do Daur U 20 Do St George
                                    William Do Son Do 17 Do Do
                                    George Do Do Do 15 Do Do
                                    Henery Do Do 9 Scholar Do Do.

Now to try to find them in 1841 to see if they have a Mary Ann (and an Andrew?) with them...
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

No, bother, I've found them in 1841 and the father is Richard, a butcher, not Andrew, a book keeper / binder. I'll leave it on here anyway just so nobody else goes down the same path!
                                      KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Bristol Boy View Post
                                        I am seeking information on Joseph Foley B 1820/1 in Lambeth/southwark. M mary Ann Day 1851 & D 1885 Shoreditch. He was a print colourer. His father was WilliamI have the marriage cert but can't find anything about the Foleys or Days before that,
                                        Thankyou Mike
                                        is your Joseph on the 1841 with his father William living in St James Clerkenwell?
                                        I found it on the first try so think this is too easy!!
                                        It says William Fowley aged 40 Joseph aged 21 both varnishers. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
                                        X