Newspaper Archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newspaper Archives

I'm trying to find out about my great grandfather. He was a horse dealer in London, but shot himself apparently. How would I go about find out the details on his death, i.e. local newspaper archives, or anything else?

Kathy

Kathy.
    I had a rellie who died during an accident at work.
    I sent for his death cert which gave his date of death and the dates of his inquest.
    I then got intouch with York archives and gave them all the details and they came straight back to me with 2 newspaper reports on the inquest.
    Because i had all the dates etc it only cost me 2 pounds 50p for the 2 newspaper reports.
    Vanessa Tallon passed away September 2011

Comment

Thank you for that, Vanessa.

Comment

What was his name and do you have an idea of when he died?
        He might be mentioned in The Times Online archive, if the case was interesting enough. But as Vanessa says, the death cert will tell you if there was an inquest and give the dates both of the death and of the inquest.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

There's a slim chance this might have been reported in The Times. If you don't have access and want me to have a look, can we have his name and the approx date?

Comment

I only heard this info from a family reunion we had in London yesterday. I can find out the year. I know it must sound odd, but I don't know his christian name. In fact, nobody does! He didn't sound like someone I would want to know. Apparently he used to beat my poor Nan and she found out quite later on that it was because he wasn't her father, although she did have his name.

Comment

And his surname was??????!! lol You never know - might get lucky!

Comment

Was this man married to your nan's mother?

Comment

His surname was Bishop and they lived in the Walworth/Camberwell area of London. I guess he was married to my great grandmother.

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Do you know your great-grandmother's maiden name?

Also, I presume you must have a very rough idea of when this shooting happened? After the birth of your nan.........can you give a date to the nearest ten years or so???

Comment

If you want to post your great-grandmother's full name, we should be able to find his Christian name.

Comment

I'm not sure from your post whether your nan is still alive. If she isn't (we don't allow details of living people to be posted without their permission) and you know her full maiden name and date of birth, then maybe we could sort out her parents details?

Comment

My Nan's maiden name was Kathleen Bishop. Her mother's maiden name was Lydia Hardy. I believe my step greatgrandfather would have shot himself somewhere between 1920 and 1930.

Comment

Do you know when Kathleen Bishop was born? (sorry to sound like this is going round the houses, but it could help with finding Mr Bishop's first name, which might lead to an inquest record)

Comment

Roughly when was your Nan born?

Comment

No Lydia Hardy - Bishop marriage coming up on FreeBMD (which goes up to about the early 1920s).

Comment

Kathleen Bishop was born 28 July 1901, I think.

Comment

Do and of these look possible?

Births Sep 1901
                                    Bishop Kathleen Doris Poplar 1c 526
                                    Bishop Kathleen Elizabeth Edmonton 3a 466
                                    Bishop Kathleen Elizabeth P Ashby Z. 7a 101

Comment

births July/Aug/Sep 1901

Bishop Kathleen Doris Poplar 1c 526 Scan available - click to view
                                      Bishop Kathleen Elizabeth Edmonton 3a 466
                                      Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                        No Lydia Hardy - Bishop marriage coming up on FreeBMD (which goes up to about the early 1920s).
                                        And no Lydia Hardy marriages 1880-1902 in the London area to anyone.

Comment

Working...
                                        X