Can anyone help solve a mystery??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help solve a mystery??

I have George Herbert b1862 in Beighton, Derbyshire, a Foreman, India rubber tyre maker, on 1901 census with wife Sarah b1857
    in Stockport, Cheshire. They are living at 42 Philips Park Road, North Manchester with James Wood aged 16, stepson and
    George Ashcroft 5 step grandson (both born Manchester).

I found a marriage for George William (this is his middle name) Herbert and Sarah Donohue in Sep Qtr 1892 Barton I
    which is part of Salford.

I then checked 1891 census and found Sarah widowed, aged 32 with James 6, Thomas 10, Annie 13 and William 15
    at 2 Beswick Place (near Philips Park Road). Sarah is an India Rubber Worker.

1881 has Sarah with Zaecheus Wood, 28, born Manchester, India Rubber Worker; Sarah is 24, born Stockport,
    William 5, Annie 3, Thomas 8 months, living at 4 Corby Street, Beswick, Manchester.

I then searched for a marriage for Zaecheus and Sarah and found one for ZACCHEUS Wood to a Sarah HOWARTH
    Dec 1873, Manchester.

I cannot find a marriage for a Sarah Howarth to George, nor a marriage for Zaccheus Wood to a Sarath Donohue.

Can anyone give me an idea how to proceed with this please?

Thanks in advance.
    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Hi Lynne LancsBMD shows that George Herbert married Mary Ann Skegg in Sept 1892
    PAT

Comment

Hi Pat
      Thanks for that but it deepens the mystery as George was from Beighton and I cannot find a George with a Mary in 1891.
      Is there any possibility LBMD is wrong?
      Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

More likely that there's more than one George Herbert; and I don't think LancsBMD covers all areas yet, does it, Pat?

I've been looking at this one too, and made no headway.

The Sarah Wood with Zac in 1881 is obviously the same as the widowed Sarah in 1891, because all the names, dates and places match.

The Sarah Herbert in 1901 is also the same as the Sarah Wood in 1891, because apart from the fact that son James' details match, she's only living 2 or 3 doors away from the 1891 address.

Have you found Sarah in 1871? There is a Sarah Ann Howarth of the right age born in Stockport and living in Lancs, but there's nothing obvious to link her with Sarah Wood. No sign of a Sarah Donohue.

Comment

ZACCHEUS WOOD
          Male

Marriages:
          Spouse: SARAH HOWARTH
          Marriage: 22 NOV 1873 Cathedral, Manchester, Lancashire, England

Husband Age at Marriage: 21
          Wife Age at Marriage: 19

(IGI, extracted entry)

LancsBMD confirms that the marriage took place at Manc Cathedral.

Comment

This looks like Zac's death (the transcriber presumably had trouble reading his age):

Deaths Sep 1884
            WOOD Zaccheus 32 Prestwich 8d 257
            Wood Zaccheus 82 Prestwich 8d 257

Comment

Thanks Mary
              So - if Zac died in 1884 then is it possible Sarah had another marriage before she married George???? That would at least account for the dfferent names.
              I'm off to have a look for a marriage of Sarah Wood between 1884 and 1892.
              Lynne

Comment

I've just been looking for something like that - haven't found anything yet, but it's possible. Also possible that she never married George, of course.

Comment

Working...
                X