November FTM magazine, Dead on census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• November FTM magazine, Dead on census

On the 1871 Census Joseph leek aged 17 appears as dead in The Hackney Smallpox Hospital
    RG10/327 FOLIO 145 PAGE 7

So is Thomas Painter Lee just above him.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

really ?? isnt that sad and a bit daft

Comment

Maybe they were alive when the forms were filled in, but they'd died by the time the enumerator came to collect them.

Comment

How extraordinary!

It does mean that, if any of them are names you're researching, you must have a pretty good idea when they died.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I always thought that you were supposed to only enter names of people actually residing there that night ???? so they should not have been put on there anyway.

Comment

They had to say who slept in the place the previous night, if I remember rightly. So if they were alive that night presumably they had to be entered on the census form.

Comment

Val

I imagine they were alive when the form was filled in, but dead by the time the form was collected, poor souls.

OC

Comment

See #4

Comment

There is a very small part of an Irish census on ancestry, think it's part of Antrim 1851 or something like that, and for each household it includes anybody who has died since the previous census with details of when they died. Shame there was nothing like that on the English, Welsh and Scottish ones, though perhaps the reason they could put it on the Irish one was that families tended to stay put in the same place more than they did here?
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

shame none of mine died the night before then ?? it would have been so easy to find their details

Comment

Sorry Mary, I DID see your post 4, the first time, but not the second time when I posted my duplicate of your post, lol!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                          There is a very small part of an Irish census on ancestry, think it's part of Antrim 1851 or something like that, and for each household it includes anybody who has died since the previous census with details of when they died. Shame there was nothing like that on the English, Welsh and Scottish ones, though perhaps the reason they could put it on the Irish one was that families tended to stay put in the same place more than they did here?
                          The census-type info available for Lithuania has similar info.

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                          X