National Archives look up if possible please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Archives look up if possible please

I am thinking about writing an article for one of the forthcoming FTF magazines about my 2x great grandfather who was a tailor.

I have a gap in his history that can only be solved at the NA.

His name was Charles NEWEY, born in 1814.
    In 1838 he was sentenced at Northampton to 7 years transportation for stealing fowls.

On the 1841 census he was on the Leviathan Hulk prison ship in Portsmouth. HO107; Piece 415; Folio: 5; Page: 6;

Some time ago I found online from the NA a snippet of info about him which doesn't seem to be online anymore.

Ref no (PC1/89 Part II)

It said that he "Has been very useful as a/ Ships Tailor for 3 Years."

and was one of "of Eighteen MALE CONVICTS now confined on board the Leviathan Hulk at Portsmouth, who have served more than One Half the Term of their respective Sentences,/ and who, on account of their ORDERLY and UNIFORM CONDUCT, are selected by the Overseer, with the Approbation of the Chaplain, as the best behaved Men in the Hulk, in order that the SUPERINTENDANT/ may make further Enquiries, with a View to his submitting the Names of the most deserving to the SECRETARY OF STATE, as Objects of the ROYAL MERCY. "

He is listed as Chas Newey

I need to see if I can confirm if he was awarded this or not. I don't think he was transported as he married in Exton, Rutland in 1846.

Can anyone help? Apologies to anyone who has looked before for me.
    Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 02-10-08, 11:16.
Working...
X