help proving a link?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help proving a link?

hello, i've found some very coincedental information, and would like some help to see what can be done to prove it.

my aunt has information that leads her to beleive that a stephen and ann morton are the parents of richard william morton. she had a private investigator in the 80's researching this family.

ok, so here's the evidence.

richard william morton marries mary wyatt in 1828, lambeth.
    they live at 36 crown st, st anne soho, westminster, in the 1841 census.
    and possibly earlier, from baptism records.
    the ref is ho107, piece 730, book 3.

they move to newington in 1851, and mary is a widow in th 1861.

richard and mary insist they were born in 1807. and say london or marylebone as there birth place.
    there are too many mary wyatt's too narrow down for the period.
    and there is 1 richard william morton, but he was born in the hospital in endell st, holborn,in august 1801. the son of stephen and anne.
    could this be his baptism? there are only too other children on the igi for stephen and ann.

caroline morton- born 1820, ch.1826, at crown street soho independant, westminster.

henry morton-born 1824, ch. 1826, at the same place.

so, this stephen and ann morton are living in crown street, st ann, westminster in the 1820's. richard and his family were living here in the 1840's.

there is a marriage in august 1800, at st george hanover square for stephen morton and ann evans. its literally 10 minutes away to holborn were richard was born. and the next district for westminster.

in 1841, stephen and ann are at st giles, which is in holborn.
    ref- ho107, piece 673, book 18

stephen and ann both died in june 1844, bloomsbury
    i've traced henry and caroline throught he census.

and another coincedence is richard had a son, stephen and another, john, who named his children, caroline lucy, and thomas henry.

there are too many coincedence 's for them not too be related. the westminster archives think they are related as well, but i need help proving that richard william is stephens son.

can someone help?:o

p.s. i hope this all makes sense.

and i forgot to ask- i cant find deaths for richard or mary. he died 1851-1861, and she died 1861-1871. im guessing newington. can someone find these deaths?

Comment

If we take what you've said on face value, there is 23 years between Richard and his youngest sibling. Not impossible, but unlikely.

Was the Ann who died the right age for both births? Could she have been a second wife?

Westminster Archives has rates books. Someone could trace a head of household at an address.

Do Stephen and Richard have the same occupation?

Are there any wills?
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

If we take what you've said on face value, there is 23 years between Richard and his youngest sibling. Not impossible, but unlikely.
        I think it's very likely.
        My fathers eldest sibling was born in 1883 and my father the youngest child of 13 was born 1911 making a 28 year gap.
        Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by geordiegirl View Post
          I think it's very likely.
          My fathers eldest sibling was born in 1883 and my father the youngest child of 13 was born 1911 making a 28 year gap.

But with a 19 year gap in the middle?

There can be all sorts of reasons for such oddities - masses of infant deaths etc - but it still remains unlikely and depends on the mother's age at marriage.
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I would look for wills if I were you. Also you could search in the Times Digital Archive, London Gazette and Google Book Search for any references to the family.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

i noticed the age gap too. i was thinking this was more to do with children whose births and baptisms arn't on the igi, then him being born and then no children till caroline.

i havn't got the death certs, but assuming the census details are correct, stephen and ann are born around 1780, making them around 20 at marriage. so they would be early 20's at richard's birth, and 40 at henry and caroline's.

stephen was a shoemaker according to the census. i cant find wills from kew's website.would the street address thing give me much info if any?

Comment

Just noticed this, which might prove useful:

The British Lying in Hospital, Holborn - Your Archives

Comment

Working...
                X