Can anyone help me find a law report?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help me find a law report?

I’ve just discovered that one of my ancestors was involved in a court case which was widely reported in the law journals. All I have so far is a load of Google book snippets, which give me a rough idea of what happened, but it’d be nice to have the full report.

The person concerned is Thomas Charles Mallet, and the case was Palmer v. Mallet, in the Chancery Division, I think, in 1887-88.

It was a restraint of trade case. Thomas joined a partnership of surgeons called Hall and Palmer; as far as I can tell from the snippets, he entered into a bond agreeing not to compete with them; Hall and Palmer split up, Thomas continued to work for Hall, and Palmer sued him for breach of covenant.

The Hall and Palmer partnership was in Newtown; the snippets don’t specify which Newtown, but my Thomas was in Newtown, Montgomeryshire, Wales, at about that time, so I should think that’s where they were.

I don’t suppose anyone has access to the full Law Reports, but perhaps someone could find a report in the Times or one of the Gale papers? Sadly, I don’t have access to either any more.
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 01-10-08, 22:19.

Send me your email addy Mary, I'm downloading some bits for you.

Sx

Comment

Brilliant, Peppie, thanks very much.

Comment

I've also got it in The Times, Mary. Yell if you want it.

Can't get the other Newspapers to download at the mo, but I'll have a look later.

Comment

Great, thanks - I'll wait to see what Peppie sends, and let you know if I still need any help.

Comment

I'm really curious about this story - Thomas was born and bred in Nottingham, and living there with his parents as a medical student in 1881.

He was married in London in 1885 and next turns up in Newtown, Montgomeryshire, in 1886, where his first child was born. By the time the next one was born in 1888 he was back in Nottingham, practising as a doctor, so I wondered what he'd been doing in Wales.

Comment

All sent! enjoy!

Comment

Thanks, Peppie - it's arriving at a snail's pace at the moment (I'm on dial-up :( )

I'll report back when I've had a look at it.

Comment

Safely arrived, Peppie, thanks very much indeed.

Libby, Peppie's sent the Times report printed on 14 July 1887, which is the report of the Court of Appeal case.

If that was the one you found, there's no need to send it, but if you found a different one or there's anything in the Nottingham or Welsh newspapers on the Gale site, I should be interested, especially if there's anything personal about Thomas and his family.

Poor man - he was married in the last quarter of 1885, probably on the strength of the job offer, started work as assistant to Hall and Palmer on 4th December that year, had his first child in 1886, the partnership split up in 1887, and he was sued and prohibited from practising as a doctor within 10 miles of Newtown the same year. What a way to start married life :(

Comment

Working...
                  X