Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have found 3 wills on FindMyPast in half an hour!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have found 3 wills on FindMyPast in half an hour!

I have just found 3 wills for ancestors in the last half an hour on Find My Past!

I was searching for wills for my Stillings branch, and also found two for my Stillwell branch as they were on the same page! I now can order the will of George Stillings of Bolton Brow Halifax from 1843 - he is my 4x gt grandfather.

It's a great resource - click on births, marriages and deaths and then scroll down to deaths. You'll find this:

Index to death duty registers 1796-1903 search

It gives the Testator and the Executor and the reference information you need to order a copy.

If you know the year of death of someone you should find any will either in the same year or perhaps a year or two later.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

That looks interesting Elizabeth. Do you have a subscription or are you paying per unit?
    Liz

Comment

Yes, I had a look through those death duty registers a few weeks ago, and found lots of useful information.

I bought units, but it comes a bit expensive, as they're not properly indexed (it's like the Ancestry complete BMD index). Probably just as well to wait till you've got a long list of people to look for and buy a week's subscription or something.

Comment

I have a full subscription - it's worth it, I think. I have found so many burials and now wills.

I have just found another one for my ancestor Mary Jeffcoat who died in 1828.

It's really good to get back before 1858. You have to trawl a bit, but if you have already done your research on year of death it's not too bad.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I've not had much luck with those lists. Even folks I'd have thought would have wanted/needed to make disposition of their belongings don't seem to have done so.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for the info.
            Liz

Comment

Thanks to Elizabeth looking on FMP for me a while ago i discovered a n early 1900's will for my grt grandfather, there weren't any huge suprises about names quoted but the sums involved were an eye opener.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Does it give the wording of the will on there Glen or Elizabeth?
                Liz

Comment

No, as Elizabeth said in her first message, it just gives the date and place of probate and name of the executor (or administrator in the case of an intestacy), so you can order the will from York.

Comment

Actually, if the will was proved before 1858 then I don't think you can order it from York. As far as I know, you would need to get it from whichever record office holds the wills for the particular diocese / archdeaconry or whatever.
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

No, sorry, I should have specified that. Pre-1858 PCC wills are available for download on the National Archives site - for anything else you have to contact the local Records Office.

Wills and Probate - Family Tree Forum

Comment

i can only find one will for my english ancestors- thomas gadd, died 1846, chichester. he was a grocer in north street.

my australian ancestors arrived her as middle class in the 1850's, but by the time they, died, well. there wills leave massive amounts of wealth.
                        and i know most of them left wills.

how dod i search for wills after 1855? do i have to fly to kew?

Comment

It's after 1858, Kyle, not after 1855. You can search the Index to Death Duty Registers on findmypast up to the early 1900's. After that (or from 1858 on, if you would rather), as long as you know when and where they died, you can order a search from York for £5 which includes a copy of the will if there is one. But you don't get a refund if they find nothing. Still, cheaper than flying over to England!
                          Info on here:
                          Publications - Guidance - Probate - Guide to obtaining copies of probate records
                          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Glad to see you're making headway with your Stillings, Elizabeth
                            CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Carole, I'm on a roll (and very grateful to you for starting me off!) :D

We are spending a night in Halifax tomorrow, going to the Records Office. I have a long list of things to look up! We are going to my sister-in-law's north of York and we are doing a detour via Halifax first!
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:

Comment

Working...
                              X