My freebie FTM2009 just arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My freebie FTM2009 just arrived

Ive put it on (noisy little ******) and when I opened it had all my info already in it from my 2008. Id prefer the stuff from 2006 so Ill do that in a second, I was surprised it went on automatically.

Make sure you backup your 2006 first Heather, as I doubt it is backward compatible.
    Elaine

Comment

Oh gawd Elaine, I made a gedcom, went to export and my puter switched itself off - gulp. I sat here thinking it was a power cut then realised the lights and so on were still on. Id left the disc in the puter - could that have done it??? :(

Comment

Can't imagine that leaving the disc in the computer would have caused a problem.
        Elaine

Comment

Well its seems very quick on the new one. Shame there is no intenet back up though.

Still worrying about the puter just going off.

Comment

I can't imagine that leaving the disk in would cause that, either. Sounds as though it could be something more worrying, to be honest.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Ive just done a Dell PC hardware scan which revealed no probs but I have sent them a mail asking them about it.

Comment

Been on the chat techi line with Dell for ages - very nice girl went through all the tests and stuff and she reckons it was the disc that caused it ? Ive had to run two long diagnostic tests and she says cant find any hardware probs - so - fingers crossed it was just a blip.

Comment

Well Im having a fiddle but I still prefer the 2006 layout. Am I not doing it right - on 2006 you have the whole page to enter people and their kids, on this you have to click on the tree thingy and then add info to the right?

Comment

Just been to post office to collect my freebie copy!
                    Will install this afternoon and have a play.
                    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                      Am I not doing it right - on 2006 you have the whole page to enter people and their kids, on this you have to click on the tree thingy and then add info to the right?
                      Not quite sure what tree thingy you are talking about!

Screenshot of main page - divided into 4 sections.
                      Index of individuals on left hand side - you can close that if you want by clicking on the tab at the top right of its box.
                      Top centre - ancestor tree
                      Bottom centre - family group sheet - very similar to what you have in 2005/6. If you want to add children you do it in the same way - at the bottom of the children lists.
                      Right of screen - facts section. You can decide what is shown here - I have added the preset fact titles I have for censuses - but you may prefer to limit it to BMD and baptism/burials - personal choice.
                      There are tabs in the right hand section for adding notes or media files etc.

I really like the 2008/9 layout - you can see so much more on the one page and saves having to flick between family group sheets and ancestor view, notes/facts also visible at the same time as family view, rather than having to open up a separate box.

I am determined to make the move over the 2009 - I still have my own tree on 2006 :o - so have just ordered the Official 2009 Guide! I know I could probably work everything out in time, but I don't want to miss anything on the way!
                      Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 02-10-08, 13:59.
                      Elaine

Comment

Thats the thing I mean Elaine on your screen shot. I much prefer having husband and wife either side and the kids underneath all on one big screen and the tabs to add info. This now looks very confusing to me - theres just too much on the screen. I guess its what you are used to (and I didnt even pay postage )

Comment

Heather - you can always simplify it by closing down the index of individuals box and moving the dividing bar up between the ancestor chart and family view so that only the family view remains.

For me it's the ease of being able to see more than just the family view on the one screen that I like.
                          Elaine

Comment

I must admit I had some difficulty getting used to the new layout, but I am finding now since I have added more to the facts area, thanks for that tip above Elaine, it really makes it easy to see what is missing and what is needed.

Do you have some problems with everything slowing down after a while particularly on the web search?? or is my computer just too old now.

Comment

I didn't know you could move the dividing line up, to see more of the children! Is that just drag it up?

I'm SO glad you've got this Elaine now I can badger you into explaining how to use it!

I've got into a bit of a muddle :o with not knowing how to 'manage sources' - I've got loads of 'no source citation' but I DO have stuff listed. But I can't see how to be able to show the relevant source when I click on the scroll-thing - I get an option to 'chose from existing source' - long list comes up - or 'add new source' - if I type all the stuff in, it invariable tells me I've got that already! Wasted my time!

Give us some tips, once you've sussed it, will you?

Bee.
                              Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
                              COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                                I didn't know you could move the dividing line up, to see more of the children! Is that just drag it up?

Give us some tips, once you've sussed it, will you?
                                yep - put cursor on the dividing line and you can drag it up or down. The further you drag it up then the fewer number of generations you see in the ancestor chart - the lower the line then number of generations increases.

Tips - I need a bit of practice - then I will!
                                Elaine

Comment

With the exsisting source long list that comes up, I have found if you hold the cursor over an entry you can read what it says connected to it ,then double click on it if it's the right one and its in place.

If you cannot find the one you want just click cancel and then add a new one.

Hope that makes sense.

Comment

Can someone tell me where to obtain the free upgrade from. I phoned someone somewhere about a month ago and was told to ring back in a month, and I have lost the details!!
                                    Researching - Minters (Ash - Kent line), Meads (Essex/London), Hornsby (Essex), Hatherall (Glos), Hall (London & Glos), Crook (Glos), Vince (London/Essex)

Comment

I have found the answer myself, emailed support, and have now ordered my free upgrade this evening.
                                      Researching - Minters (Ash - Kent line), Meads (Essex/London), Hornsby (Essex), Hatherall (Glos), Hall (London & Glos), Crook (Glos), Vince (London/Essex)

Comment

Working...
                                      X