Thank heavens for Pallot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank heavens for Pallot!

I've been wrestling with husband's gt gt gt gt grandfather Samuel Price Denison for some time. He was a clerk to an attorney in Holborn. I think the attorney was his Uncle Samuel Denison.

I've got his baptism 1775 in city of London, marriage 1802 at St Andrew Holborn, and burial in St Luke's Old Street, but have been wrestling with other information. SPD was mentioned in his uncle Samuel's Will, which was disputed in 1796. The Will mentions Samuel Denison's niece Mary Gason.

Pallot's marriage index has given me details of a marriage between Walter Fletcher Gason Esq. and Mary Price of St Andrew Holborn, married at St George's, Hanover Square in 1784.

Unusually for Pallot, it also gives witnesses
    Thomas Price
    Samuel Denison & Elizabeth Sayers.

So I am now wondering if Mary Gason was widow of Walter Fletcher Gason, but can't work out how she can be Samuel's niece.
    Last edited by Little Nell; 30-09-08, 21:35.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Sister's daughter?

Wife's niece?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Maybe not a widow, as Samuel Denison's will was proved 1786 and the same year Walter Fletcher Gason Esq was a subscriber to a play. This info from Ancestry gives his address as Totteredge which I presume is Totteridge.

I think this side of husband's family must be a bit posh. Makes up for all the thieves I suppose!

Comment

Walter's Will appears to be in Docs Online - did you know?

Online Document PROB 11/1583
        Will of Walter Fletcher Gason Great Queen Street Lincolns Inn Fields, Middlesex . Will of Walter Fletcher Gason Great Queen Street Lincolns Inn Fields, Middlesex Date: 1816.
        Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine

Yes, I've worked that out! Just don't know whether his side or wife's side and which sibling is parent. I need to rummage about in parish registers at Guildhall again I think.

I know Samuel Denison's brother Joseph was father of SPD. There were also 4 sisters that I am aware of as they are mentioned in Wills, Lydia, Mary, Elizabeth and Sarah. But I can't find a Denison-Price marriage.

Comment

Christine

Thank you, I was going to check as next port of call, many thanks indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
              Christine

Yes, I've worked that out!
              I thought you must have done - but then wondered if you were experiencing an early-onset Senior Moment!

Christine

Comment

Try Google (books), too!

Christine

Comment

This looks intriguing:

and this one rather sad:
                  The Gentleman's Magazine - Google Book Search

and precedes the other Google books one, chronologically.

Christine

Comment

With the kind of info I've found about Mr Gason, it might b worth trying the Times Digital Archive, or the London Gazette?

Christine

Comment

Was one of Gason's daughters called "Laura Matilda"? Someone of that name appears on the Old Bailey site as victim of a street robbery in 1839.

Browse - Central Criminal Court

Her testimony suggests he was dead by then - which wouldn't conflict with an 1816 Will.

Christine

Comment

Christine

Thank you, I was going to have a trawl of Times online in a tic.

Just downloaded the Will. It goes on for 5 pages!!! I've just skimmed it but it mentions Thomas Price and also Walter's daughters Amelia Augusta and Laura Matilda!!!

There's a great essay in the left hand margin of the Will which I am going to wade through in a tic.

The bonus is that the address matches that of 1841 entry I've found for a Mary Gason who has a Laura with her, so that's all fitting in nicely. Just need to tie these folk into the Denisons somehow!

Comment

I wondered whether that's where you were!

And that Old Bailey entry does tie in, then.

Christine

Comment

Mm. Lengthy note in margin explained that Thomas Price died during Will's execution and Mary Gason later died intestate 1868, Walter's daughter Lucy Sophia was granted admon.

Comment

Walter Fletcher GASON:
                              bur (28 Mar) 1816 age 65, London (City of London Burials 1788-1855) St Andrew, Holborn,
                              Address at death: St Giles

courtesy of FMP

Christine

Comment

Oh brilliant - isnt it wonderful when a bit of jigsaw comes to light.

Comment

There's a Mary GASSON, of Kensington, age 75, bur 22 March 1830 St Mary, Whitechapel

...but presumably not yours with variant surname.

also courtesy of FMP

Christine

Comment

Christine

Thank you so much for all those links.

Heather - well I think Walter is just another piece, I still can't link his wife Mary Price to Samuel Price Denison. But I do have some useful pointers.

Its quite amusing to think that there was obviously a lot of money about with Samuel Denison senior & Walter - yet Samuel Price Denison's son Joseph was a watchmaker in Goswell Road and his daughter married a chap who was tried at the Old Bailey for theft, found innocent, but reappears 1871 in Parkhurst Prison!

Comment

falling into place

Baptism of Laura Matilda, daur of Walter Fletcher Gason & Mary, in 1796 in Totteridge and also her sisters Amelia Augusta, Lucy Sophia, Maria, Harriet Louisa and Caroline Juliana.

Now, there aren't many Julianas around and Samuel Price Denison had a sister called Mary Juliana.
                                      Last edited by Little Nell; 30-09-08, 22:24.

Comment

Did you pick up the bit about Walter being a trainee lawyer? I think it was one of the Google Books hits.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X