Lost! James Stillings in 1861

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost! James Stillings in 1861

I have James Stillings, son of William and Hannah Stillings, born 1841 in Sowerby Bridge Yorkshire.

In 1851 he is with his parents:
    HO 107; 2298; 961; 20

In 1871 he is married to Mary Ann and living in Pudsey.
    RG10; Piece 4506; folio 83; page 4

He is not with his parents in 1861, so where is he? I've tried searching in various ways, but I can't find him.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Hi,
    I found a J Stilling c1842 Yorkshire, living at the Weslyan Normal School, Westminster, London in 1861. Have you seen that and discounted it?
    ref: RG9 piece 49, folio 57 page 39 he is on the 4th line down.
    Haven't a clue what this school is and the only info from a 'google' produces results in USA.
    Margaret

Comment

Looked at Wikipedia and see 'normal school' means it was a teacher training college as we would know it.
      Margaret

Comment

Sorry, I can't see him. What was his occupation and do you know where he was living when he got married?
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Sorry to be absent - serving food and domestic duties!

Well, I have found that he married Mary Ann Scales in Mar qr 1864 in St Luke's (Holborn), so it is very likely he was in London.

He obviously did quite well for himself, he became a Shoe Manufacturer in Yorkshire.

I'm going off to look at the entry - will be back soon - and many thanks for your help.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

It could be him, but there is no way of proving it. He didn't become a teacher, but the name Stilling/Stillings isn't very common, so it might well be him as the year of birth is OK.

Of course, with the problems with the 1861 census in London, he might not be traceable.

Perhaps he decided to train as a teacher, but fell in love and married and had to earn his keep rather than be a teacher. He married in 1864 and his first child was born in 1866.

Many thanks for all your help.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

I searched the London Gazette and found just one hit:

In 1885 the partnership between William Dibb Scales (brother-in-law?? - wife was Scales), Joseph Salter, James Stillings and Jonathan Wevsert as shoe manufacturers under the style of Scanles and Salter has this day been disolved - 10th April
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

Hi Elizabeth,
                In 1861 Mary Ann Scales is with her family in Pudsey and her father William Dibbs Scales is a boot and shoe manufacturer employing 10 men and 11 boys. She is shown as a private school teacher so that's the link possibly on both counts.
                RG9 piece: 334, folion 102 page 8
                Margaret
                Last edited by margaretmarch; 30-09-08, 20:28. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Margaret, thanks! I saw that after I came off last time. I think it fairly neatly explains what happened.

It's not my direct line, so I don't want to buy any certificates. I'm descended from James' grandfather, George Stillings.

I love doing the "offshoots" as well as the main branches.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

me too!
                    Margaret

Comment

I have just joined this forum and found this know this thread which i know was started a long time ago, but if any one is still pursuing this line, I have a lot of information and photos on James Stillings and the Scales family into which he married. Please feel free to contact me.
                      Doreen

Comment

Hello Doreen,

Elizabeth Herts has been onsite today if you would like to contact her you can send her a private message via this site, to do this, you need to click on her name on the left hand side and you will get a drop down box with 'private message' if you click on this it will enable you to send a message to her directly.

welcome to the forum :smilee:
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

An update:

Doreen, many thanks, you are a truly generous genealogist.

Doreen has sent me a CD containing a 16 page Word document that includes photos and newspaper cuttings in addition to details of the life of James Stillings.
                          Elizabeth
                          Research Interests:

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                            An update:

Doreen has sent me a CD containing a 16 page Word document that includes photos and newspaper cuttings in addition to details of the life of James Stillings.
                            oh what brilliant news Elizabeth!!! you must have so much to look at and 'get your teeth into!' what a super gesture from Doreen,

why can't all fellow family historians be the same??
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

James Stillings

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                              An update:

You are more than welcome Elizabeth. Delighted to share. I have had lots of help from other researchers when I have been stuck, so am happy to help where I can. Enjoy!
                              Doreen

Comment

Working...
                              X