Death certificate/inquest records - France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death certificate/inquest records - France

Is there anyway to obtain a death certificate of someone who died in Paris in 1904, apparently as the result of experimenting with life saving equipment in hospital. I presume there would have been some sort of inquest as well.
    Elaine

I have found the French Archives site - but don't understand any of it!
    Archives de France | Page d'accueil
    - can I order certificates from there?
    Elaine

Comment

Elaine you need Helen think she might be able to understand some of it for you
      borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

This seems to deal with ordering a French death certificate -

Copie intégrale d'acte de décès - Service-public.fr

If I'm understanding it correctly, you apply to the mairie of the place where the death took place or the last address of the deceased.

I can't see what dates are covered though.
        Gillian
        User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

This page has genealogy info: Archives de France |
          My French is very rusty, but I think it says that death certs contain the date of birth or age, occupation, sometimes place of birth and the names of parents or spouse.
          I don't see any mention of cause of death, and the British Embassy site appears to confirm that:
          French death certificates, however, do not show the cause of death. In France there is no central registry corresponding to the General Registry Office in the United Kingdom.
          The British Embassy in France How to register a death in France
          Sarah

Comment

Ah that's a shame as the cause of death would have been interesting!

I wonder if there are any online newspapers which are searchable in the hope there might have been some sort of inquest report.
            Elaine

Comment

Found a link on this site: Free Newspaper Archives -- Search History for Free -- International -- 7
              But it says: "The French, their wonderful history notwithstanding, have done a mediocre job archiving their newspapers, but a few are available at this archives page. They are not searchable, but full page images can be retrieved by date. Date coverage is poorly described (quelle surprise!), but coverage includes Le Figaro, Le Temps, Le Croix, and others, chiefly from the 1800s to early 1900s."

This is the link for the French newspapers this refers to: La presse quotidienne dans Gallica
              click on "Consulter les titres en ligne" in the upper right corner.
              Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah - will have a look.
                Elaine

Comment

elaine, this is a great site to translate from.

just copy anything you want translated, and paste it in the box.
                  just select the language you want to translate from, and the language to translate into.

Google Translate

Comment

Working...
                  X