William Faughn b1886 Ballard Co,KY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Faughn b1886 Ballard Co,KY

Looking for information on my great grandfather, William Faughn, born 1886 in Ballard Co, KY (Monkey's Eyebrow). Also believed to die in 1908 in Ballard Co and possibly buried in Sandridge. Wife was Gracie May Martindale.

Jan Weihl
    Wait-A-While

I can't see an exact match for the details you have given on the 1900 US census. Do you have his marriage certificate, and if so, does it give any details of his parents, please?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Re: William Faughn, 1886,Ballard Co,KY

Hi. Thank you for your response. I have never found a birth certificate or marriage certificate for William Faughn. The only document I have is my grandfather's birth certificate (Floyd Faughn) which is where I got the information on his father, William Faughn. My understanding is that the census records that would have helped me were burned and there are no records for the old Sandridge graveyard in Ballard Co. Ky.

So I know it's a long shot but in case anyone had any information I thought I would ask.

One other possible lead is that he may have had two sisters:
      (1) Jessie who married an Ariel Shelby in Sikeston, MO
      (2) Bell Kelly, a 1/2 sister

I've never been able to find anything on either of those.
      Wait-A-While

Comment

Yes, the 1890 census was destroyed in a fire. It's the only one that could have helped me with my great-grandfather too!

The only Faughn family I can see in Ballard County in 1900 is this one, but I bet the surname often gets mistranscribed so there could be others:
        Faughn James A, Head, born Mar 1861 Kentucky, married for 11 years, father from Kentucky, mother from Virginia, farmer.
        Dortha(?) E, Wife, born Sept 1871, 3 children, all still living, born Kentucky, father from Indiana, mother from Kentucky.
        Thomas H., son born Sept 1891 Kentucky
        Bessie M., daughter, born Apr 1893 Kentucky
        Beulah B., daughter, born Sept 1896 Kentucky.

Next household:
        Faughn William R, Head, born May 1830, widower, born Kentucky, father Kentucky, mother Kentucky. Farmer.

I know that your William isn't there, but I'm just wondering whether Bessie could be Jessie, and Bell could be Beulah? From the info on the census, James and Dortha would have got married a couple of years after your William's birth, so perhaps he was James's son by a previous wife? James is quite a few years older than Dortha, plus it looks as though his father was called William so he could well have named a son after him. Of course, the main problem is that young William isn't with the family!
        KiteRunner

Comment

So, I know this might all turn out to be unconnected with your family, but just following that lot up to see if it gives us any leads:
          Kentucky birth records Bessie M Faughn 28 Apr 1894 parents J A Faughn and V E Bobs
          KiteRunner

Comment

There are several William Faughn deaths in the US Social Security Death Index, but none in Kentucky.

FamilySearch.org - Search

No idea how complete the index is - do you know, Kate?

Comment

From the Social Security info website:
              The Social Security Administration did not begin keeping records until 1936; therefore, we have no records about people who died before then.
              KiteRunner

Comment

Ah, I missed that, thanks

Comment

You probably have this already, but just in case it helps any, this is Floyd on the 1920 census:
                  East St Louis Ward 6, St Clair, Illinois
                  Martindale Henry H 21 born Illinois, parents born Missouri and Kentucky
                  Fay Wife 18 born Illinois, both parents born Illinois
                  Faughn Floyd Nephew 11 born Illinois, both parents born Illinois.

And the Martindale family on the 1900 census:
                  Dongola, Union, Illinois
                  Martindale G W, Head, born Nov 1860 Arkansas, farmer
                  Mary A Wife born Jan 1865 Kentucky
                  Mary J Daur born Nov 1886 Kentucky
                  Gracie M Daur born Oct 1888 Illinois
                  Chalmon D Son born Oct 1890 Illinois
                  Oscar Lee son born Jul 1893 Illinois
                  Harry S son born Aug 1898 Illinois

It took so long to find them that I almost forgot why I was looking for them, but I think it was to get some details of Gracie so I could look for her in 1910 and 1920. Off back to search...

By the way, could you post up the full details from Floyd's birth certificate if possible, please, just in case there are any more clues on there?
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Wow this is so nice of you. I can't believe you are taking this time to help me. I really appreciate this. I should have checked back sooner. Yes I will post again with my grandfather's birth certificate information.

I also just realized I could upload my tree on here. Maybe that would help.

Your lead on the Faughn in KY is very interesting. Soon as I saw "Bessie" I wondered the same thing. I think I am learning just seeing how you are researching this.

And yes the Martindales you have listed is the exact right Martindales. I have all of that.

Thank you so much.
                    Jan

p.s. Also thank you to Mary from Italy for jumping in.
                    Wait-A-While

Comment

RETURN OF BIRTH: Floyd Faughn. Parents born in wedlock. Floyd was second child of this mother. Floyd was born 03/03/1908, Dongola, IL. Father was William Faughn from Ballard County, KY. Mother was Gracy May Faughn from Union Co, IL. Father was 22 years at Floyd's birth. Mother was 19 years at Floyd's birth.

RETURN OF BIRTH: Gracy May Martindale, born Oct 12, 1888, Dongola, IL. Was third child of Mary Alice Martindale. Father: George Martindale born in Clay County, IL was 28 years when Gracy was born. Mother: Mary Alice Canida born in McCracken Co, Kentucky was 22 years when Gracy was born.. Her father was a farmer in Dongola, IL.

TOMBSTONE: Gracy May Martindale's in Hinkle Cemetary in Dongola, IL. Tombstone reads "Gracy Martindale daughter of Mr. & Mrs. G. W. Martindale". We are not sure why the tombstone does not say Faughn. Also note that the tombstone has a birthdate but no death date as if she was never buried there. There is also no tombstone for her first child. NOTE: Dad remembers his father (Floyd Faughn) taking him to the cemetary where Gracy May is buried. He does not believe she is buried at the Hinkle cemetary. He remembers the cemetary being up on a bluff which overlooked the Ohio river. He says there was a pond next to the cemetary which was very deep. This cemetary he remembers might be in Ballard Co, Kentucky.

NOTES ON WILLIAM FAUGHN: William was probably born in 1886 in Ballard Co, KY since Floyd Faughn's birth certificate says his father was 22 years old when Floyd was born. Family believes William went to Kentucky before Grandpa was born for work and got tuberculos and died before Grandpa was born (late 1907 or early 1908). Family says Grandpa's mother (Gracy May Martindale) died when Grandpa was only 9 months old (December 1908). Family thinks there was another half sister of William's named Bell Kelly. William was buried in Sandridge grave yard in Kentucky. This cemetary is now called New Hope cemetary. It is a church graveyard. All the stones are gone. There is just a pile of rocks left to mark the graves. The area where the graveyard is located was known as Monkey's Eyebrow. This is near Oscar and Bandana Kentucky in Ballard Co. Note that Oscar looks to be right up against the Ohio river.
                      Wait-A-While

Comment

So, have you got the birth certificate for Gracie's first child, and do you know what happened to him / her? Was William also the father of that child?
                        KiteRunner

Comment

No one had ever heard that Gracy had another child other than Floyd Faughn (my grandfather) until I located his birth certificate and saw it on there. It was news to my dad and my aunt and they had never heard of such a thing. There was no grave for that child in the Hinkle cemetary where the Martindales were buried.
                          Wait-A-While

Comment

1910; = Ohio, Pulaski, Illinois; Roll: T624_319; Page: 13B; Enumeration District: 90; Image: 508.

The Martindale family are here.

Comment

I don't know enough about this stuff to understand what your message is telling me. What is that reference to? Is that a 1910 census record? If so, which Martindale family do you see there?
                              Wait-A-While

Comment

Oh, sorry, I found them yesterday but never posted it up. They were at Ohio, Pulaski, Illinois, on the 1910 census, working for a Mr Price:
                                Martindale G W Hired Man 50 born Illinois
                                Marry A Servant Wf 45 born Illinois
                                Ansern Hired Man 17 born Illinois
                                Harry Son 11 born Illinois
                                Carry Daughter 5 born Illinois

But Floyd isn't with them. Wonder where he was?
                                KiteRunner

Comment

Yes that is really the question I think, where my grandfather (Floyd Faughn) was in 1910. My dad had thought he should be with his grandfather (George Martindale) in 1910. Now he is wondering if he could have been with other relatives in Kentucky at the time.

It's a real mystery.

I'd love to get just a little further on this line. My aunt worked on it for years and could never get any further. She has cancer and it would be so neat to get a little further for her.

Seems like a dead end though.

Thank you for your help.
                                  Wait-A-While

Comment

Working...
                                  X