Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FTM 2009 anyone else having a problem with???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM 2009 anyone else having a problem with???

I have combined a couple of trees, and had set find duplicate people going and had a long list come up which I started working through last night. When I closed down it asked me if I wanted to save the list I checked yes. Tonight when I opened the programme (which took ages by the way is that the same for everone?) and went to find duplicate people it asked if I wanted saved list I said yes and the programme froze. Did an end task and tried again still the same.

Anyone else tried this feature yet?? and had the same problem if not I'll go on the hunt for an answer.

Still waiting for my freebie one to come. Have a google - there must be a FTM2009 forum on the go now.

Comment

Try here, you have to register but it's free and monitored by experts.

Using Family Tree Maker Forum
      Best Wishes
      Ron
      www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

Thankyou Ron and/or Carol I have posted a query on Ancestry board no answer yet. Once I retrieve my log in details will pop one on there as well. Somewhere along the line though I have really messed up my big file and I am considering starting again. You know the one you did my wonderful tree from??

Will make my mind up tomorrow about what to do.

Comment

Had a reply on ancestry board and after doing several things I was asked to do, I still have the same problem a saved duplicate list will not open and the window for it just sits there. The upshot seems to be at the moment that the person who was trying to help cannot answer the problem and will notify the developers, in the meantime I will just have to generate a new list each time. Not a major problem but annoying. As for the rest of the new features now I'm getting used to them so far so good I am quite impressed. I just find the web search can be quite slow at times, I think that maybe that my computer is a bit older and only has a med size RAM so struggles after a while.

Comment

Hi Linda.

My computer seems slowed down with this programme, too. It took ages to start up each time I opened the FTM programme, though it does seem a bit quicker now. I don't know if it's to do with the computer memory - mine says it has 512MB, but I don't know if that's good or bad!

I've also been unable to register FTM, so I can't get the 'easy ancestry access' they talk about. I spent ages on the phone today with a very patient and helpful tech support lady, but she couldn't solve the problem - apparently they're getting 'a few' calls about the same problem - mostly seems to do with Tiscali users. She'll email me when they come up with an answer.

I'm slowly getting used to this version - some things seem better, some not.

Hopefully, as more people get playing with it, there'll be more feedback on here about the pros and cons, and how to get the best out of it!

Bee.
            Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
            COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Hi Linda.

512mg is really nowhere near enough, you need at least 1gb nowadays.

It's very easy to upgrade the memory, Windows XP needs 256mg just to run so there's not a lot left to run your programs, that's why it's so slow.
              Best Wishes
              Ron
              www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

That makes sense Ron/Carol. I am hoping to have enough to buy a lap top shortly but will also ask a techie friend about upgrading memory on this one.

Thankyou.

Comment

OK just to let others know spoken to techie friend, and depending on your computer as Ron/Carol says above it is an easy job and should only cost about £30.00 to increase memory. Hopefully getting mine done tomorrow so will let you know.

Comment

Well worth spending the extra..

Techie friend came in cleared off a load of unnecessary stuff that is in start up and other bits running in background that are not needed. Downloaded a registry cleaner and although I regularly use microsoft disk clean up, it found no end of stuff that that misses. Put an extra 1Gig memory in and Wow everything is faster and 2009 is now twice as fast as it was when I first loaded it. Well worth the £35.00 he charged me for the memory bit. He also commented that it may be that on older machines the graphics card may also be causing some slowing down of the programme as they cannot work fast enough to process the graphics attached to 2009 but at the moment I am quite happy with the result.

Comment

Working...
                    X