Another pair of eyes on 1841 census please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another pair of eyes on 1841 census please

HO107; Piece 146; Book: 4; Civil Parish: St Austell; County: Cornwall; Enumeration District: 14; Folio: 14; Page: 21; Line: 1

Thomas HILL and family - where are they living? I can see Hills but can't make out the second word there.

Anybody got better eyes than me please
    Pauline
    xx
    OPC Lanlivery, Lanivet & Newquay
    www.mumsiep.tribalpages.com

Hills Tenement ??
    Elaine

Comment

I'm not sure Elaine. I wonder if it starts TRE which would be a good Cornish place name. Anything starting TRE, POL, and PEN are supposed to be of Cornish origin.
      Pauline
      xx

Comment

I am sure the first letter is T - if you look further down the page in the occupations column it matches the T of Tin miner.
        Third letter definitely looks like an "n" and I think it ends with "nt"
        Elaine

Comment

I have just checked the transcription on Findmypast (where they include the address) - transcribed as Hill's Tenement.
          Elaine

Comment

Thanks for that Elaine. I know it's not crucial in the scheme of things, but I like to try and plot where the ancestors lived, and see if the places are still here today.
            Pauline
            xx

Comment

As he's a Farmer, would it be anything to do with being a tenant ?

Looked at the ED description and also 1851 ... no help

It does look vaguely like Tin....... but no dots over anything
              Last edited by Rachel Scand; 29-09-08, 18:39.
              ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Pauline Free Cen have it transcribed as Hills Tinemon probably makes it more confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by perranmaid View Post
                  Pauline Free Cen have it transcribed as Hills Tinemon probably makes it more confusing.

That's interesting ... I'd wondered if it was anything to do with Tin mines, but the enumerator seems to quite good with his dots over the i's on the rest of the census

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

If as the census shows Thomas was a farmer in 1841, maybe it is naming his area of land - Hill's being the family surname, and I've just looked in the thesaurus, and one defintion of the word tenement is as follows

"Item of property - a piece of property, eg land or houses, held by somebody"

That would make sense of it.

Thanks for your contributions on this one.
                    Pauline
                    xx

Comment

Working...
                    X