Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help saving my tree and documents

please can someone tell me how do i delete what i have on the thing

(lol :o)i plug into my computer to save my tree,i need to save my new tree and i have forgot how to delete and add on it.its what you plug into the front of the computer insted of using disc,brenda xxx

A memory stick? I would go into "My Computer", then when it shows the different drives, one will be the memory stick (possibly external drive E?) and you can open that up and see what is on it, then you can right-click stuff and select delete. If you want to copy stuff onto it, just click and drag the file you want backed up into the drive E (or whatever) window.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Bren, is your tree in a Family Tree Maker programme?

Bee.
      Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
      COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
        Bren, is your tree in a Family Tree Maker programme?

Bee.

yes its on legacy xxxx i want to save my tree in case my computer breaks down i know i did
        it once but thet was the old tree and i have forgot lol brenda xxx

Comment

do i put my memory stick in before i delete brenda xxx

Comment

If you mean before you delete stuff from the memory stick itself, then yes, you would need to put it in first.
            KiteRunner

Comment

i did but then im not sure how i can delete as i have nowhere when i click which says delete lol brenda xxx

Comment

When you right-click on a file that is on the memory stick, what options do you get, Bren?
                KiteRunner

Comment

kite i get alist of things i have deleted some but how do i get my new tree on it as the old legacy one is on and ancestry is more updated brenda xxx

Comment

Do you mean your tree on the ancestry website, or is it in Family Tree Maker, Bren? If it is actually on ancestry then you would need to export the tree from ancestry and then save the exported file onto the memory stick.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

yes i want to save it on my memory stick,so do i go to ancestry export my tree where?im must be the dumbest person here,can you put it down for me to print many thanks brenda xxx

Comment

When you're on ancestry, go onto your tree on there and then over on the right-hand side of the screen there is a box headed "Tools". The first link in there says "Manage my tree" with a picture of a little spanner next to it, click on that link. Then it will come up with a page that says "Manage XXXXXXX tree" and just under the "update" button there is a picture of a little folder and it says "Management tools Export tree". Click where it says "Export tree" and then a box pops up asking if you're sure you want to export it. I haven't gone past that bit myself because my tree on ancestry isn't my master copy.
                        KiteRunner

Comment

right i have printed that but do i put my memory stick in when i do that or after ?sorry to be a pain brenda xxx

Comment

If I were you I would put it in before so it will be ready, Bren.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

It will only be a gedcom that you get from Ancestry, so that would have to be put into your family tree programme, unless you only want to save the gedcom.
                              Christine in Portugal

Comment

i have an old tree on legacy do i delete that and resend ancestry ?brenda xxx

Comment

I don't have Legacy but presume it is the same as FTM.

You will have to open the gedcom from Ancestry in legacy.
                                  Christine in Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by brenmac View Post
                                    i have an old tree on legacy do i delete that and resend ancestry ?brenda xxx
                                    No - you should keep your old Legacy tree (i.e., Family file) until you are 100% certain that:

- the new Family family file that you create (using the GEDCOM you downloaded from Ancestry) has all of the information contained in your Ancestry tree; and

- there is no additional information in your old Legacy tree that is not included in the new one.

Remember that you can have as many different trees as you want in Legacy, provided that each one has a different file name.

Here's what I would do:

- save the GEDCOM you download from Ancestry (it will be a file with a .ged extension on the end) in My Documents. You can also copy it and save it to your memory stick if you wish.

- open Legacy (don't worry if your old tree loads automatically, that's normal)

- in Legacy, go to the menu bar at the top (above the row of icons) and click on 'File' - a drop down menu will then appear

- move your cursor to the line that says 'Import From' - this causes another drop down menu to appear

- click on the line that says 'GEDCOM File ...'

- a pop-up window with the heading 'Import GEDCOM File will appear; there will be a column of icons on the left showing 'Recent', 'Desktop', 'My Documents', 'My Computer', and 'My Network Places'

- click on the icon for 'My Documents' and you should see the name of your Ancestry file in the window - click on that (the name should then appear at the bottom) then click on the button that says 'Open'

- a new pop-up window will appear asking if you want to create a NEW Family File (recommended) or add the GEDCOM information to the existing Family File - make sure the first option is checked and click on the 'Proceed' button

- a new pop-up window will appear asking for a name for your New Family File - by default, it will give it the same name as the GEDCOM file you chose, but it will have a .fbd extension at the end instead of .ged. As long as the name is different than your old Family File, just accept the default and click 'Open'. If you want to give it a different name, type the new name into the box that says 'File name', then click 'Open'

- a new pop-up window will appear called 'GEDCOM Import Into Family File'. There will be some information at the top about the GEDCOM (e.g., the number of Individuals, Families, Sources, etc...) and some check boxes below (e.g., check for valid date formats, sort events by date, etc...). If you understand what the check boxes are asking for, click on those you want to select - if you aren't sure, just accept the default settings for now. When you're ready, click on the big button that says 'Start the Import'.

- a new pop-up window will appear called AutoSource Reminder - while this can be a useful feature (basically, you use it to show that information for all the individuals came from importing this GEDCOM), for now just click on the button that says 'Don't Assign a Source'.

- depending on how many people are in your GEDCOM (and how fast your computer is) it may take a few seconds to complete the import. When it's finished, a pop-up window will tell you that it is complete - click 'OK'.

- you can now navigate through you new Legacy tree to see if all the information came across or if anything is missing. Also check to see if children are matched to the right parents, dates and place names are correct, etc...

- if you want to compare your old Legacy tree against the new one, click on 'View' in the top menu bar, and choose 'Split Screen View' (before doing this, you'll probably want to maximize the Legacy window so that it fills your entire screen). It will then ask if you want to open a different family File in the new window - choose yes, and then select the old file name from the directory.

I think that everything - I have to go to work now, but will check later on to see how you made out.

Good luck -

Tim
                                    "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

thankyou of to try lol brenda xxxx

Comment

Working...
                                      X