Is there an easy way !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there an easy way !!!

I am researching my grandfathers brother, William Roberts. As the name is so common, are there any hints that I can use to help me through the maze?

Kathlyn

What information do you have on him and his family?
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

If your great-grandfather (or great-grandmother) left a will then it might give some details of William's occupation. Also if he registered either of their deaths it might give his address on their death cert.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

is the one we thought died at the address away from home, that turned out to be the wrong man?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
          is the one we thought died at the address away from home, that turned out to be the wrong man?

Hi Kyle,

This is the son of the man I thought/hoped was my great grandfather (I have since ruled him out.)

William is on the 1881/1891 and 1901 census.........In the 1881 census he is living at home with his mother, brother and a lodger called George Massie.

In the 1891 census, William`s name is spelt RUBERTS, and he is recorded as being the step-son of George massie, even though his mother and George Massie did not marry until 1895. (naughties went on even then !!!)

In the 1901 census he is recorded as William Massie, but he is witness to the marriage of his sister in 1905 under his own name of William Roberts.

Kathlyn

William was born in about 1875 and I do not think he ever married.

Comment

Hi Kathlyn,

When John Roberts married Mary Mawdsley in 1868, was there an age for him on the cert and was his occ joiner at that date as well as later?

Comment

There is never an easy way to trace people post 1901.

He's a bit old, but have you checked the commonwealth war graves site, in case he died in WW1. Ancestry isn't up to R on soldiers' records, but you should check that too.

Was he a lodger, or head of household in 1901? In some areas it is worth checking street directories and/or lists of electors - though the latter are not indexed and only become useful after 1918.

Is William just a name on the census, or are you in contact with anyone who might remember him? The trouble is that single men could just wander off, emigrate etc etc. (As you probably know only too well!)
              Phoenix - with charred feathers
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                Hi Kathlyn,

When John Roberts married Mary Mawdsley in 1868, was there an age for him on the cert and was his occ joiner at that date as well as later?

On the marriage cert of John Roberts to Mary Mawdsley he is given as "full age" and his occupation as "Carter", his father is Robert Roberts, "Mariner or Farmer...the writing is indistinct and on checking the "M" in Mawdsley, it is missing the seconed down stroke.

But I have been unable to locate John Roberts on any census. On the 1881 census his wife Mary is recorded as "Labourers wife", so I assume he was away working at that time. He was dead by 1891.

Do you think that if I obtained a copy of the original church entry, the occupation of the father would be revealed more clearly??

Kathlyn
                Last edited by Kathlyn Maudesley; 01-10-08, 16:49.

Comment

Cany anyone give me some advise please?

Kathlyn

Comment

It's hard to say whether the father's occupation would be clearer on the original church entry or not, Kathlyn, I suppose the only way to find out would be to look at it.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

KiteRunner, would you look at my other message please, as at the moment I am stuck.

Kathlyn

Comment

Sorry, Kathlyn, can you explain which bit you're stuck on please?
                        KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                        X