Army records - Afghan war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army records - Afghan war

A friend has Afghan War medal of her greatgrandfather with the following inscription:
    6717 Dr J Franklin C/3 R.A.

Any idea where the army records may be, presuming of course they have survived. Have tried TNA without much success!
    Elaine

Elaine

try
    The Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-1880: The British in Afghanistan

or try the group for the second anglo afghan war.. It is run by Garen Ewing and he seems to have quite a bit of info on the Anglo Afghan war..

angloafghanwar : Anglo Afghan War 1878-1880

My gr grandfather served with the 92nd Gordon Highlanders and took part in the Kabul to Kandahar march..

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
    Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Thanks Raven. I'll pass the information on.
      Elaine

Comment

The medal should be included on the Medal Roll at Kew, and his records, if they've survived, will be there too. Not indexed on the catalogue, though. You'd have to actually go there to search for them.
        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thank you Ann. Will pass that information on as well.
          Elaine

Comment

This rather underlines how long the battles out there have been going on, doesn't it.

(Nothing to do with genealogy, and I don't want to start a debate - it just struck me that that's 130 years at least that it's been an area of unrest.)

Bee.
            Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
            COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Working...
            X