Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• workhouses

hi all,

my grandfather was a child migrant sent to canada in 1923 - i have all his info.

he has 3 confirmed siblings and 7 other possible's (waiting for cfmtn)
    all registered at easthampstead.

one b1900 i find a marriage and no children on bmd
    all others i find no marriages to date (waiting on one cert for a possible)
    his father died 1917 in great war and we have a feeling that many of the other children were also sent out of country as child migrants - how can i find workhouse records from 1900-1920
    for wokingham? i live in canada. are these records on film at FH centers here? wud anyone have any direction to give me?

looking for living relatives for my grandfathers 7 offspring who have no known family on their fathers side.

tks
    sue/

There may be some useful material for ideas on the Wiki?

Have you tried googling?

Or TNA's quick-search: JavaScript Support Check

Or
    Hidden Lives Revealed: A Virtual Archive - Children in Care 1881 - 1918
    Or
    ALPHABETICAL LIST OF ALL SCHOOLS

Or these (which seem to be alternative routes to the same info):
    www.workhouses.org.uk
    Workhouse - the Story of Workhouses

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

some yes, but they dont give records info
      some no, and will do that now.
      i didnt come up with anything relavent when googled.

tks
      will let u know.
      sue/

Comment

This link in the Wiki may also help

British Home Children - Family Tree Forum

Jackie
        Jackie

Comment

Sue, bear in mind that FreeBMD has only transcribed BMD's up to the early 1920s. Full details of its coverage here:

Ancestry® helps you understand your genealogy. A family tree takes you back generations—the world's largest collection of online family history records makes it easy to trace your lineage.

If you want to search for births and marriages after that, you'll have to trawl the complete index on Ancestry, quarter by quarter, which is a very long job.

Comment

Workhouse records aren't available online but they should be at the relevant county records office.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

hi
              yes have written to berkshire office and waiting reply.
              tks
              s

Comment

yes i u/stand even in the last year bmd has a lot more records added and they are still working on it.

children from 1901-1907 cud very possibly marry after 1920 for which bmd is no where complete so i'll have to keep waiting.

we have a website on canada govt where u can look for marriages/deaths/births up to about 1950 - i dont u/stand why GRO does not have an index at least up to a certain year. i u/stand privacy issues but these are only names, no address or other info.
                we have to rely on volunteers to transcribe which cud take forever, and be too late in coming.

s/

Comment

tks for that, looks like a lot of usefull info and searches to be used.
                  will get on that now.
                  let u know.
                  sue/

Comment

Originally posted by sueshan View Post
                    we have a website on canada govt where u can look for marriages/deaths/births up to about 1950
                    Sue, could you share that website with us? Would be really interested in looking at it.

Thanks, Lynda

Comment

Give us the info you've got and we'll see what we can find.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

achttp://archives.gnb.ca/Archives/?culture=en-C

go under search button at top left.

the newspaper links are quite interesting as well.

Atually i was seeing it in my head and saying canada but its new brunswick
                        found a marriage 1939 and a death 1956 registered in restigouche

i believe i also have one for canada - i'll send it in a bit - have to go thru over 1000 govt weblinks to find the right one

s/

Comment

ok here goes.

my grandfather emmigrated thru S.A. 1923 from hadleigh farm

father Albert Henry Claridge b1870 d1917 great war
                          mother Mary Ann Fletcher b1880 d1940 (m#2 james hannington in 1917 d1925
                          m#3 alfred Chitty 1927 at wandsworth
                          mary chitty d1940 wandsworth

edwards siblings all regis easthampstead except where noted
                          *** means confirmed thru parish record as ours - others waiting cert's.

David john b1901 - beleive a twin to albert henry who was born same qtr and died same qtr at same location - birth not on bmd but death is. albert henry cfmd ours****

agnes b1901 - i found marriage to Alexander Carlson in 1919 and nothing after****
                          ellen mary b1902
                          ada b1903****
                          charles Leslie b1904 at reading
                          may b1905
                          jane b1906 ****
                          annie margaret b1907
                          edward william b1908 - my grandfather who emmigrated to cda 1923.
                          albert H b1910 at workingham

have only found one possible on annie margaret m john sinclair 1922 - wandsworth
                          found two births names removed both in jun 1924 and both on same page and entry -

have found nothing else in the area for right ages.

i am waiting for annie margaret/sinclair marriage cert to arrive.

my hope now is that albert and david b1901 ARE TWINS
                          names removedb1924 ARE ALSO TWINS and belong to annie margaret - then i wll have something to work with.
                          ps: notice annie has a sister named ADA and her maternal grandmother's name was also ADA.

i dont think all the kids were fortunate to be working etc and ended up in union workhouses such as my grandad (although he cud have been there due to stepfather issues as well)

s/
                          Last edited by KiteRunner; 28-09-08, 22:25. Reason: names of people who may still be living removed

Comment

Age 15 was quite old to be a child migrant. I would have expected him to be out at work aged 15 in 1923. But you seem to have that information, so you must know which Home he went from? Have you tried emailing them to ask if there were siblings at the same Home?

Apologies if you have already tried this, but have you done a name search for any of the siblings, to see if they appear in any tree on Ancestry or GR etc.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by sueshan View Post
                              yes i u/stand even in the last year bmd has a lot more records added and they are still working on it.

children from 1901-1907 cud very possibly marry after 1920 for which bmd is no where complete so i'll have to keep waiting.

we have a website on canada govt where u can look for marriages/deaths/births up to about 1950 - i dont u/stand why GRO does not have an index at least up to a certain year. i u/stand privacy issues but these are only names, no address or other info.
                              we have to rely on volunteers to transcribe which cud take forever, and be too late in coming.

s/
                              Sue, you don't have to wait for FreeBMD to transcribe the years you want - you can search through the indexes quarter-by-quarter on such websites as ancestry, findmypast, Family Relatives and The Genealogist. The England and Wales BMD indexes are actually available online right through up to about 2006. The only thing is, of course, you have to pay a subscription to those sites.
                              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

well, i know he was at wokingham union workhouse at one point and then sent to hadleigh farm, my u/standing of research done on the farm is that there were several learning steps to go thru before one was 'eligible' to leave and he cud have been there for as much as two years. on his immigration papers he is listed as 14 so 12 when to hadleigh and probably 10 or so when to the union house
                                in 1918 - his dad died in 1917 july and his mother remarried in dec 1917 - he turned 10 nov 1918 - i have read that the older children were given the choice of destination and what to them must have been a large sum of money for a new start although i think it was entrusted to their guardians for the trip - hah but he never made it to his final destination bec as far as we know he jumped ship in halifax or quebec and then worked his way from farm to farm and landed in new brunswick, restigouche by the time he was 18. luckily it was told that e/one he worked for was very good to him and helped him along his way. others i know not so fortunate.

as for the other stuff i have e-mailed the berkshire record office who apparently have some records. other than that the sally ann whom i've also mailed has requested i pay them up front to do an initial search and seeing as they were the culprits to my thinking i dont wish to do so. the information sud be freely available to us in my mind.

ancestry has no connection for this date - i did find other cousins though for connections from 1800-1850 era so not a total loss.

have to keep looking. wud be nice for my mum and her siblings to find someone before
                                too late.

tks for all the help to e/one.

Comment

i have sub to ancestry, but the index only gives one name doesnt it? how do i find the 2nd name of the spouse?
                                  this is how i found mary chitty d1940 but boy it was a very long and exhausting search
                                  just for 13 years - imagine doing 20-30 years, lordy lord my eyes will be shot for sure.

s/

Comment

From mid-1911, the index gives the spouse's surname.

Comment

Sue, your link to the New Brunswick BMD search doesn't work for me, but hopefully this one will if anybody else is having the same problem:
                                      Provincial Archives of New Brunswick :: Vital Statistics from Government Records (RS141)

The New Brunswick online birth indexes don't look very complete yet and only go forward to about 1913 but the marriage index goes up to 1958.
                                      Last edited by KiteRunner; 29-09-08, 07:25.
                                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Records (Wokingham Union Workhouse)

• Berkshire Record Office, Berkshire Record Office, 9 Coley Avenue, Reading, Berks RG1 6AF. Holdings include: Guardians' minute books (1835-1930); Relief order lists (1896-1930); Ladies Visiting Committee minutes (1880-1930); etc.

These appear to be all the records left.
                                        I had the same problem with mine at a Suffolk Workhouse. Most of the records ...Admissions etc had been destroyed. i did find some mention of them in the minutes. I was lucky enough to find mine on the 1841 census tho'.
                                        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Working...
                                        X