Not got any software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not got any software

I have not got any tree making software. I do not know what a gedcom or avatar is.
    I would like to have something on my computer and I have been reading past threads to see if i can get any ideas, but I am confused.
    What is a good package for an idiot
    Ann

hi,

i hope i can help abit, if not some1 else should be able to.

a gedcom is the file name given to the copy of your tree that you can up or download from either a family tree programme on pc or an internet site like ancestry and genes reunited.

an avatar is a small picture that appears under your name on left hand side of messages. you can add 1 if you go to user tools at the top of any page on here, then click on user control panel, down the left handside there is a list of things you can change and 1 says edit avatar.

not sure on what the best programme to use is, i have had my tree online as my main tree for ages and i have only just got round to getting a tree maker on disc to make my main and net as backup (taking ages to sort out).

hope some of this makes sense.
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

There are various types of Software available. I would think that the majority of us use Family Tree Maker but other popular ones include PAF, Family Historian and Legacy.

Family Historian
      Family Tree Maker
      Legacy
      Personal Ancestral File

PAF (Personal Ancestral File) and Legacy are freebies that you can download from the internet.

Detailed help is also available in the Wiki for some of the most popular packages (click on program name)
      Family Historian
      Family Tree Maker
      Personal Ancestral File (PAF)
      Legacy
      Elaine

Comment

Thank you that is clearer. I will look at the sites and see what suits me best
        Ann

Comment

Might be worth trying one of the freebies first, and then upgrading to a commercial one later on if you want to.

I would have thought that out of the two freebies, PAF (Personal Ancestral File) is the more popular - and we have quite a few PAF experts on the site who can help you if you get stuck.
          Elaine

Comment

There is also free legacy which is very much like FTM so good learning one ;;

Legacy Family Tree Genealogy Software
            borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

One thing to avoid is the freebie version of Family Tree Maker (FTM), it has several features which are "locked" and can only be accessed by purchasing an unlock code, cost is around the £20 mark but you can buy a full working version for far less than that.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I have a free version of Family Tree Maker and get on fine without buying any of the extra features.
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                X