Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage and Death in Holland

Hi everyone
    Can anyone help ? I don't know where to look for marriages and deaths in Amsterdam 1800 to 1850.
    The only websites I have found so far are in Dutch (which unfortuntately I don't speak !)
    Grateful for any assistance.
    Thanks. Caz

You might find some marriages on the IGI on www.familysearch.org

and check Cyndi's List for info.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

You could also try our Wiki, Caz - The Netherlands - Family Tree Forum
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Hi Caz,

Amsterdam marriages for the period you're looking for are not available online as far as I know. You could try contacting the Amsterdam City Archives. Their contact details can be found here: http://stadsarchief.amsterdam.nl/sta.../index.nl.html
        The e-mail address for e-mail enquiries is: informatie@stadsarchief.amsterdam.nl
        Their fees page (http://stadsarchief.amsterdam.nl/sta.../index.nl.html) states that they charge € 14 per 15 minutes of research. It also says they are working on digitising more of their archives, and records will be scanned on request. I would e-mail them and ask about the possibilities and how much they would charge for look-ups in the civil register, which started in 1811. For earlier events they would have to search church records.

There are some deaths online (downloadable as a ZIP file) for Amsterdam's Watergraafsmeer district for the period you're looking for here: Digital Resources Netherlands and Belgium To see those and other records currently available online for Amsterdam, in the menu on the left, click on Internet under Noord-Holland (this is the province Amsterdam's in). Then scroll down until you get to the Amsterdam records.

Also, as Joan suggested, have a look in our Wiki. I have added links to (or explained how to access) the English versions of Dutch sites where available.
        There are a lot of records online for other parts of the Netherlands in case you're also looking for records elsewhere than Amsterdam. If you need help understanding Dutch sites, give me a shout.
        Last edited by Cloggie; 28-09-08, 11:30.
        Sarah

Comment

Also, IGI batch numbers for the Netherlands can be found here: IGI batchnummers van Nederland en België (click on the starting letter of the town)

Some translations of the abbreviations to help you:
          ref. = Dutch Reformed (= Protestant)
          wal. = Walloon Reformed (= Protestant)
          r.k. = Roman Catholic
          b.s. = civil register
          dopen = baptisms
          geboorten = births
          trouwen = marriages
          huwelijken = marriages
          dochters = daughters
          zonen = sons
          Sarah

Comment

Can I intrude to ask a couple of questions, Cloggie? I've found a Google snippet relating to the Reformed Dutch Church in New York - can you tell me if I've understood the following words correctly?

Ouders = parents
            Getuygen = sponsors/godparents

Comment

Hi Mary,

Yep, you've understood perfectly.
              ouders = parents
              getuigen/getuygen = sponsors / godparents / witnesses
              Sarah

Comment

I've been looking around the Amsterdam City Archives' site and found an English manual for the "Archiefbank", through which scans can be purchased online. The manual is in the form of a PDF file (nearly 10 MB) that will open through this link: https://stadsarchief.amsterdam.nl/ar...rchiefbank.pdf

The manual also explains how to request digitization of records that have not been scanned yet, and says:

"To date only a fraction of all inventory numbers have been digitized, so you will see a ‘request’ button at the end of the inventory numbers that have not yet been digitized. This will enable you to get the inventory number in question digitized on request....

...You do not commit to anything when you make a request. After the digitizing is complete you can decide not to buy anything at all, or to buy one or more scans. Take note: the scans can only be shown legibly after payment. In all cases the entire inventory number is digitized. This means that you can’t just get a single page digitized through the Archiefbank, but after digitizing you may decide to buy this page alone."

I don't know how much use this will be to you, as the catalogue itself is only available in Dutch, but it does confirm that they will scan documents on request, although only a whole "inventory number" (e.g. the index for a whole year of marriages) at a time. So I think in your case it would probably be best to e-mail them for more information.
                Last edited by Cloggie; 28-09-08, 14:14.
                Sarah

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Marriages and Deaths in Holland

Thank you all so much for all that information that you have given me - I found it really helpful and am following it up. I found the Dutch genealogy vocabulary translations really useful too. I hope my question will have helped others with the same sort of enquiry.
                    There is an added difficulty that the friend that I am making the enquiry for is French and doesn't speak English or Dutch !
                    Many thanks again. Everyone is so hlepful on this forum.
                    Caz

Comment

Hi Caz, there is also a good Dutch Genealogical Word List here: FamilySearch.org - Research Guidance

If your friend wants to provide names & dates & places, I would be happy to see if I can find anything online, although I probably won't have much luck if the events took place in Amsterdam. But there is a lot already online for other places in the Netherlands.
                      Sarah

Comment

Help needed from Cloggie please ! I am going through the IGI Batch numbers for the Netherlands as you suggested but I don't know what "dochters" means. I thought it meant daughters but that doesn't seem to make sense here. Could you translate for me please ?
                        Thanks Cloggie
                        Regards from Caz

Comment

Hi Caz,

Dochters does mean daughters. Certain batches on the IGI are only baptisms of girls, and others only of boys. Does that make sense in this case?
                          Otherwise, let me know which batch number you're looking at and I'll have a look.

Sarah
                          Sarah

Comment

I've found that, so long as you remember the risk of "false friends", you can make a good guess at Dutch words by a mix of looking at them plus speaking them and listening to what you're saying. It helps to have both English and German in mind while experimenting - and perhaps remembering any Scots you've heard.

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                            X