Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anything else i can find?

Hi

I have found the record of my grand uncle leaving for Australia. He was living in Hertfordshire when he migrated and entered Oz through Freemantle. Is there anything else i can find out about him by this? I have tried the phone book on Ancestry and there isnt anything (im not sure why i looked i just wanted to find out). Im guessing i cant find out when he came over from Jersey, but wonder if there are migration information or passport information i may be able to get?

Also if there is anyone living in Ware in Herts, i would be really greatful if someone is able to get a photo of his house for me.

many thanks
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

I'm confused. Was he born in Jersey, moved to Ware and then to Australia? Are you wanting pre-Australia information?

Whenabouts did he go to Australia and what was his occupation?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Nell

yes thats right, he was born in Jersey in 1930 between then and 1957 moved to Ware and then left London for Fremantle. Other than his DOB (im going to apply for his birth cert on Monday from Jersey) and date of death that is all i have. Until his estate is settled im just trying to find out as much info as i can. tonight i found him on the passenger lists from findmypast, but other than that i have no other information. When he left the UK he was a nursing assistant but is believed to have been a nurse when he died.
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

You don't give a name, but there might (just) be something in one of these:
        Search - National Archives of Australia

THE RYERSON INDEX -Oz newspapers death notice look-ups (free, by volunteers)

WA Registry Indexes

BDM Database
        can't see where the link is to the actual database at the moment.

Christine
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 28-09-08, 14:05.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There is also this site for WA

MCB Site

Comment

Just because he first entered Australia via Fremantle, does not necessarily mean he settled in Western Australia. Many people are recorded as entering Australia in Fremantle, because it was the first port entered. A lot of ships, especially, took passengers to further ports.

Sue's suggestions of the Ryerson Index and the National Archives are the best places to search. Just a google search limited to Australia might find something if his name was at all unusual.

Diane
            Diane
            Sydney Australia
            Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Hello Robyne,

If he was living on Jersey during the German occupation, you should be able to find something about him at that time here WWW OPAC

(You have to put the surname before the forename when you search)
              Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 29-09-08, 07:02.
              Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Hi Muggins, i have looked on here and he doesnt exist which surprises me. if a child was in a childrens home would he still appear?
                Robyne

Comment

Sorry Robyn - was in a rush to go to work and didn't read your post properly :o

In February 1941 along with every islander over the age of 14 had to register in order to get an identity card - so I guess your relative was too young
                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

PS - the only other think I can think of is to e-mail the Jersey Heritage Trust - Mid
                    Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

i would also like to add as i have a real life freind who as a child was a german prisoner of war becauces she lived on Jersey and she siad one time there was a book with her name in

i dont know the name of the book

when they were relest they came to main land to live with relles as they had nothing so this might be why he a came to Ware
                      tink
                      wye surrey/london/birmingham
                      lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
                      hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
                      ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
                      herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
                      armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                      X