No announcement yet.

An interesting biography - is it true?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An interesting biography - is it true?

I'm still struggling to definitively prove my possible connection to the Kemble family (Kemble family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) so I've been playing around with creating a separate tree for them to keep the various notes in.

I'm fairly easily distracted and keep going off on tangents and the biography for one of them, Ann Julia Kemble, has me really intrigued.

Ann Julia Hatton (1764-1838), novelist, who wrote under the name “Ann [or Anne] of Swansea”, was the younger sister of Sarah Siddons.
    She taught herself to read and wrote her first play aged 11, which was performed by her father’s theatrical company in Brecon.
    Hatton believed that because of her limp and squint, her family ridiculed her as “the Genius”, and had her apprenticed to a mantua-maker.
    In 1783, she married a bigamist and then earned her living by lecturing for James Graham, the quack doctor.
    Attempting suicide in Westminster Abbey, she was accidentally shot in the face in a brothel.
    Hatton wrote 14 novels between 1810 and 1831 mainly for Minerva Press, which included the exceedingly gory Cesario Rosalba: or the Oath of Vengeance (1819).

Can anyone unearth anything else about her that expands on these two events?

I'm assuming they are two different events, anyway

Zoe
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Hi Zoe,

Did you see this link? It also mentions these events.

Ann Julia Kemble Hatton (1764-1848)
    Louise

"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun."

Comment

I googled her and found en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Hatton. There are other hits which might help.
      Simon

"You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky ? " (Dirty Harry) - Be lucky; the facts are out there somewhere

http://www.thebirdtree.co.uk

Comment

There's a lot on James Graham if you google James Graham mountebank. Emma Hamilton, (Nelson's mistress) "modelled" for him

Comment

Hmmm, Ann appears to have been a "model" as well.

not a very attractive one though:

"Said to have been born with physical drawbacks that do not seem to have hampered her sexual appeal - lameness, a squint and the large Kemble frame ...... [which] led to a sort of lumpy largeness."
          Zoe in London

Comment

Ha HAAA!! Found it - well part of it:

World (1787) (London, England), Tuesday, December 8, 1789

Zoe in London

Comment

Wow, Zoe,
              I hope you can find the link to the Kembles for your tree !! I wish I had someone half as interesting to research.
              Diane
              Sydney Australia
              Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

If he was travelling on the road from Staines to London, why had he gone so far north to the rural delights of Hampstead ? Maybe his story was not exactly accurate ?
                Simon

"You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky ? " (Dirty Harry) - Be lucky; the facts are out there somewhere

http://www.thebirdtree.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                X