Name reading help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name reading help

Can anyone make out what Nathaniel's surname is please?

I think it says Ravenor but I've been reading Wills for hours and my eyes are all blurry.

cheers

Zoe
    Last edited by samesizedfeet; 27-09-08, 16:31.
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Ravenor - I can't see what else it might be...
    Sue

Comment

Must admit not heard the name Ravenor before - but it appears in the 1841 census in Middx/Kent.
      Elaine

Comment

it's from an affidavit to a Will

he's swearing that he's known John Satchell for many years and is familiar enough to recognise his handwriting and have seen him write his name several times.

The affidavit is from 1798 so I'd guess Nathaniel should be born at least 20 years before in order to be able to swear - but I can't find anything suitable on ancestry to figure out what he does or how he's connected.
        Zoe in London

Comment

Crumbs Zoe that looks like the exact same writing as my ancestor's will I asked you to interpret for me!

Maybe the solictor was doing job lots? Lol

:D

Joanie

Comment

I think they bred law clerks some place

It's like racehorse stables and the muscles are developed specifically so they have the most swirly handwriting known to man and so that every word looks like it starts with a capital letter so it's impossible to pick names out at a glance
            Zoe in London

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post
              and so that every word looks like it starts with a capital letter so it's impossible to pick names out at a glance
              Zoe, I think they wrote all the nouns with capital letters, like they still do in Germany.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

There is a Nathaniel Ravenor marriage on the IGI, 3 Jun 1775, to Ann Stretch at "St Mary, St Marylebone Road, Saint Marylebone, London" if that is any help.
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

OOoh thank you Kate,

And thank you everyone who helped as well

I've had a little nap so my eyes appear to be pointing in the same direction again so I'm going back to it

Z
                  Zoe in London

Comment

Don't know where your RAVENORs were (just chopped that bit off in the image) but there are a number of TNA/etc records for that name, including:
                    Mortgage ACC/0624/001 1696
                    These documents are held at London Metropolitan ArchivesContents:
                    (1) Francis Hampton of Great Greenford, gent and Mary his wife, formerly Mary Ravenor, widow.
                    (2) Simon Ravenor of Harrow on the Hill, yeoman.
                    (3) Daniel Ledgingham of Great Greenford, yeoman.
                    Messuage in the occupation of Nathaniel Ravenor, with garden, orchard, yard, barns, stables and outhouses; 5 acres in the Common fields of Greenford called the Common, Upper and Nether Southfields, and in Castle Croft Shott; 1 acre & 2 acres in the Lower Common Field and 2 acres called Millcroft Field
                    Endorsements:
                    (A) Receipt by Simon Ravenor for £210 from Daniel Ledgingham. 3 Feb. 1796/7.
                    (B) Assignment (same property)
                    1) Elizabeth Carrigon of St. James, Westminster, widow, formerly Elizabeth Ledgingham, widow.
                    2) John Virgo of Greenford, farmer.
                    3) John Brittridge, Senior of Greenford, yeoman. 29 Sept. 1732.
                    (C) Assignment (same property).
                    1) Elizabeth Virgo of Edgware, Spinster.
                    2) John Brittridge of Greenford, gent.
                    3) Mary Bristow of Greenford, widow.
                    4) Alexander Rouchead of St. George Hanover Square.
                    5) Peter Thomas of Rotherhithe, Kent. 8 April 1769.
                    Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

...and if you Google Nathaniel Ravenor it also brings up stuff on Old Bailey online as well as the TNA info that Christine has posted.
                      Sue

Comment

Working...
                      X