Help With Latin Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Latin Please

Im hoping this to be Wiliam son of Thomas and Frances Flavill, but what does the "Domino Blant" mean?

I do have an Elizabeth for this couple, but born 10 years earlier! What does the latin after her mothers name mean?

Thanks
    Last edited by Cherub; 27-09-08, 13:37.
    Sara

Researching Clarke, Malpass, Flavell, Bate in Gornal / Sedgley and Hingley, Herring, Wainwright, Parker Stourbridge / Kingswinford

Baptised Elizabeth Cartwright ("filia Petra") filia = daughter and Petri/a=Peter and Elizabeth Cartwright.

Domino Blunt? Gwilium = latin for William would appear to be the name of filius (masculine of filia)= son of Thomas and Frances Flavil?

Nata =born and circum= about un decem? maybe First December? anno=year

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 27-09-08, 13:45.

Comment

Domino Blant and Domino Dunn on the other = by Dominus X (Reverend or Master or Lord, whatever title they use )-- the 'o' ending in Latin is the ablative case which takes the place of our pronoun 'by'
      hope this helps
      Janexxx
      To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Comment

Thanks for you replys, but Im still confused.
        Is the Domino Blant part relevant to William or the priest?
        Sara

Researching Clarke, Malpass, Flavell, Bate in Gornal / Sedgley and Hingley, Herring, Wainwright, Parker Stourbridge / Kingswinford

Comment

It means your little man was baptised by Dominus Blant

Comment

oh Thanks for that.

Strange that Elizabeth has no Sponsors!

Sara
            Sara

Comment

Maybe they weren't recorded, Sara. I don't know much about Catholic registers but in the years before the books consisted of pre= printed pages, Cof E ones varied in the amount of information given.
              Were both records from the same register?
              What does anyone else think, we need an expert here ;)
              Janexxx

Comment

Yes they are from the same register, and all the others on the same page have got sponsers. Peter and Elizabeth Cartwright did have an Elizabeth, in fact she is with them on the 41 census however she was born c 1816 not 1826, so Im wandereing if she was 10 when she was baptised.
                Sara

Comment

So the images you posted, were they from the original register? Maybe you should put up a thread asking about the sponsor problem, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here who could help you better than I can
                  Janexxx

Comment

Nata circiter undecim annos means "born about 11 years ago", I think, but I hope that someone who knows Latin better than me will confirm it.

Comment

Yes yes yes, Mary, now why didn't I see that bit????
                      That answers all the questions for Sara

Comment

Oh Mary, thats exactly what I wanted to hear! Thanks so much. Thanks too to you Jane for all your help xxx
                        Sara

Comment

Working...
                        X