Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help wanted: Researching "Smith's"

Hi,

I received my 2x Great Grandparents marriage cert a couple of weeks ago.

My 2x Gt Grandparents got married in 1917, in Nottingham.

Emma Stevens aged 28 married George Smith aged 45. George gives his occupation as coal miner and his father as John Smith, Deceased, General Labourer. At the time of marriage George was a widower and Emma a widow.

The two witnesses were Arthur Goulding and Florence Shaw.

If George gave his correct age he would have been born c1871. I have looked on the census records, but without knowing where George was born, I don't know how to narrow the results down.

I have managed to trace Emma back through the census and her parents. But with George Smith being such a common name it looks like it is going to be mission impossible.

I have tried to see if Florence was George's sister, by trying to find a census record with a George, Florence and John Smith but I can't seem to find anything.

Any advice and tips would be truly appreciated.

Kind regards

Kelly.

Hi Kelly,
    Where was Emma born? Have you looked around her address in 1901 to see if George is nearby at all?
    Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret,

Emma was living in Lincolnshire in 1901. Emma moved to Nottingham with her first husband between 1910 and 1912. I think Emma must have met George in Nottingham.

I will go and check the 1901 just incase.

Thank you for youe help

Kelly.

Comment

Hi Kelly,
        You might have to wait for the 1911 census to resolve this unless you find some other information about George.
        Don't suppose you have any elderly relatives who might have a clue where George was born, are there any letters, photos, papers that might shed some light on his origins.
        Do you know if he had any children with his first wife?
        If Emma moved to Nottingham it's probable that George was from that area as he is shown as a coal miner, but it's by no means certain.
        Margaret

Comment

Kelly, can you post up George's address from the marriage certificate, please? I might be able to go and look at the electoral register one day next week to see if anybody else is listed at his address - though of course if he was a widower, most likely he would only have children living there with him. But perhaps he will turn out to have a brother or something. When someone's father is "John Smith, general labourer", you need to hunt down every tiny possible clue!

A possible marriage from Jul-Sep 1899:
          Caswell Mary Nottingham 7b 446
          Lock Robert Nottingham 7b 446
          Shaw Joseph Nottingham 7b 446
          Smith Florence Nottingham 7b 446

So it could be that Florence was George's sister and married a Joseph Shaw. Or this could be totally unconnected, and we don't even know who married whom! I suppose you could order this marriage certificate and specify a few "reference checks", such as Florence's father must be John and she must have married Joseph Shaw.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
            You might have to wait for the 1911 census to resolve this unless you find some other information about George.
            Not sure whether the 1911 census is going to help or not - if he was still at the same address in 1911 where he was in 1917 then of course it will, but if not then it might not be possible to pick out the right George Smith.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Margaret,

Unfortunately, there isn't no elderly relatives that I could ask. I may try my Grandmother sister's husband, to see if he knows anything about George.

When the 1911 census comes out Emma will be with her first husband. Unfortunately, I don't know who George was married to before and I don't know if he had any children with his first wife.

On the certificate, they both give their address as the same road, but different numbers. George says he lves at number 7 and Emma number 6. But the address given was Emma's as that is where Emma and her 1st husband lived (at number7).

Thank you for your help.

Kelly.

Comment

One one Joseph and Florence Shaw came up on the 1901 living in Nottinghamshire and they're with a Smith family

RG13; Piece: 3164; Folio: 20; Page: 31
                Fiona. xx

Comment

Hi kiterunner,

I have traced that Florence through the census and her father was Joseph and mother Mary. There also isn't a brother called George.

George gives his address as 7 Mitre Terrace Commercial Street. Emma gives her address as 6 Commercial Street.

7 Mitre Terrace was Emma's address as that is where she was living with her first husband.

Thank you for your help.

Kelly.

Comment

Originally posted by fiona c View Post
                    One one Joseph and Florence Shaw came up on the 1901 living in Nottinghamshire and they're with a Smith family

RG13; Piece: 3164; Folio: 20; Page: 31

Hi Fiona

That Florence has a father called Joseph and she hasn't got a brother called George. I thought I may of had a lucky break when I saw her. :(

kelly.

Comment

Did you find the family in 1881?

I've found Joseph by himself down as married but no sign of wife and children yet.
                      In 1891 Florence is 13 and the next child is 6 so was wondering if Mary was a second wife.
                      Fiona. xx

Comment

Hi Fiona,

I'm just having another look. I'm sure I found them earlier.

Kelly.

Comment

I have found Florence and Mary, with Mary's parents. There are no other children with Mary.

Name: Florence Smith
                          Estimated Birth Year: abt 1878
                          Relation: Granddaughter
                          Where born: Nottinghamshire, England

Civil Parish: Cheadle
                          County/Island: Staffordshire

And here is what looks like Joseph's and marys marriage:

Marriages Dec 1874 (>99%)
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kinder Mary Bingham 7b 727
                          Smith Joseph Bingham 7b 727

Kelly.

Comment

But that probably isn't the same Florence Shaw who was a witness at the wedding, is it? Since her father was Joseph? I suppose it may yet turn out that she is George's cousin, though.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Hi KiteRunner,

No I didn't think it was the same Florence. I just traced her through the census to prove that her father wasn't John and she didn't have a brother called George.

I don't really know what to try next.

I wonder if George lived at 6 Commercial street, or if they both just put that so it didn't look like they was living together before marriage.

I know for definate that Emma lived at 7 Mitre Terrace Commercial Street before she married George.

Kelly.

Comment

Kelly, I'll go and have a look at the electoral rolls at Nottinghamshire Archives next week and see if I can find him. What district of Nottingham was / is Mitre Terrace, Commercial Street in, please?
                                KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Kiterunner,

From googling I think it comes under Lenton. But my hubby said he thinks there is a commercial street in Bulwell Nottingham.

Kelly.

Comment

Hi Kiterunner,

I just googled and found a website called Lenton times and on there, it says there is a commercial street in Lenton Nottingham.

Thank you for your help, it is truly appreciated.

Kelly.

Comment

Oh yes, Googling does suggest it was Lenton:

Bezu Le Guery Communal Cemetery, Aisne, France

Cpl. William STEVENS. 1st Bn. Lincolnshire Regt. 8th Sept. 1914. Husband of Mrs. E. Stevens of 7 Mitre Terrace, Spring Close, Lenton, Nottingham.

Although it doesn't mention Commercial Street! But I take it that's the right family?
                                      KiteRunner

Comment

Hi kiterunner,

Yes thats the right family.

If you google Lenton Times, on there it says Commercial street was known as Spring Close.

I have tried googling Mitre Terrace but I can't seem to find anything.

Kelly

Comment

Working...
                                        X