What happened to pipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to pipes?

Sorting through some family photo's to put into the family history folder I came across one of my Mother's brother smoking his pipe - taken about 40 years ago. It got me thinking: You never see anyone smoking a pipe these days. Did pipes just die a natural death? I certainly don't remember any bad publicity promoting the evils of pipe smoking such as we have today for cigarettes. Did they just become 'unfashionable'? or too costly?
    Can anyone enlighten me please as I think I ought to add a postcript to the history folder in case future generations ever wonder just what it was that Uncle had in his mouth! Thankyou - Val

morning Val...I can`t say why people stopped smoking pipe tobacco ,possibly the flavouring and toasting of the tobacco meant it being more expensive,but I do know that one of Britains largest pipe tobacco factories here in Liverpool was Ogdens..this closed down about 1988-90..there was talk at the time of a massive housing estate being built there..I presume this happened but not sure....allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Pipe smoking was condemned due to cancer of the mouth which often occurred on the lower lip where the hot pipe stem rested.
      Pipe offered no protection as they did not use filters as cigarettes did (filter cigarettes grew in popularity for a while before being condemned also).

Cheers
      Guy
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I agree that the health issues would cause a decline in pipe smoking, but there are probably a lot of other subtle reasons too (after all, some elements of society abuse their bodies with other substances, but wouldn't be seen with a pipe!). I should think as much as anything else it's an "image" "problem".

I think this article is quite interesting:

Bowled Over No Longer

Comment

alive and well here in Northants

Smokers keep pipe festival going despite ban - Northants ET
          Jess

Comment

At the "London's buried bones" exhibition I visited recently there was a skull with an obvious sign of pipe smoking - a cleft worn in the teeth where the habitual clay pipe smoker rested his pipe.

Comment

I know two pipe smokers!

OC

Comment

I know of two pipe smokers here on the Island, and I've seen several round the towns and villages, mostly older men.
                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

My father (84) still smokes a pipe.
                  He used to work for Wills, where all the staff had a free tobacco or cigarette allowance!

Comment

My Granddad used to smoke a pipe. I still have fond memories of him doing so even though I am a non smoker & whenever I smelt pipe smoke it would remind me of him.

I haven't seen anyone since smoke a pipe though!

Joanie

Comment

In the small town where I live there is stilll a shop called "The Pipe Shop" - I had a look at it today - it has a wide range of pipes from £8.95 upwards - more expensive ones come in satin-lined cases - there is also a range of pipe-smoking paraphinelia - including gadgets to compress the tobacco in the pipe bowl -

So I guess the industry still survives.

BTW I used to know a solicitor who was a pipe-smoker - and female to boot
                      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

My Dad smoked roll-your-owns, but his brother, my Uncle Sam, smoked a pipe. He's the only person in my family that did.
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I can't believe I debated for ages about whether or not to post such a 'frivolous' question. I am glad I did as your replies were all so informative, and the websites you suggested were really interesting. Thankyou all so much for your input, I shall be writing up a short article about pipes to add to my family history. Many thanks - Val

Comment

my daad smoked a pipe up until his death in 06. and i no of 2 ppl that stil smoke them.
                            **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X