Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your help will be greatly appreciated

Hi

I am trying to get further back, from the 1841 census, for a branch of my tree.

I have Alfred Mose b1832 Marylebone.

1841 census has him with mother...Charlotte and siblings in Marylebone. Last child born 1840.....no sign of father.... (possibly deceased?)

I know from his marriage cert that his father was Cecil Bishop Mose.

I have a marriage between Cecil Mose and Charlotte Winters 1829 in Marylebone. I assume that these are his parents.
    There is also a marriage for Cecil Mose and Elizabeth Blackman 1795 in Bath Somerset. possibly his grandparents? {Both from Pallot's} I need to make a connection but can't see how to.

I am unable to find the name Mose before this and as it sounds Jewish, I am wondering if they came from Europe. If this is so, how and where can I find more information.

many thanks
    Trish
    Last edited by Tricia Green; 03-02-12, 14:42.

There are 457 hits for the name "Mose" on the National Archives site, going back a very long way; at least one was a vicar, and it doesn't seem to be a specifically Jewish name.

Comment

According to Pallot, the 1795 marriage was by licence, so you could try contacting the Records Office in Bath for details. You should get the parties' ages, husband's occupation and name of the bondsman, who may or may not be a relative.

Comment

I wonder whether Mose could be a variation of Moses? I think Moses is actually a Welsh surname.

1841 which you have found already at Marylebone, just as a starting point:
        Charlotte Mose 35 Mangler Y
        Thomas Do 11 Y
        Alfred Do 9 Y
        Edward Do 8 Y
        Cecil Do 6 Y
        Richard Do 3 Y
        James Do 1 Y
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about the Bath marriage yet until you have something to connect it with your family, since it could just be a coincidence that they have the same name.
          KiteRunner

Comment

The IGI has Cecil jr's baptism:
            19 Aug 1835 St John the Evangelist, Lambeth, Surrey: Cecil Bishop Mose, parents Cecil Mose and Charlotte. I know that his father's name is given as Cecil Bishop Mose on his marriage certificate, but it seems quite common for sons to give their middle name to their father like that! So it looks as though his father's name may have been just Cecil Mose.

Oops, sorry, just realised it was Alfred who said his father's name was Cecil Bishop Mose, but anyway, looks as though he may have got confused with his brother's middle name.
            Last edited by KiteRunner; 26-09-08, 22:45.
            KiteRunner

Comment

The 1851 census gives the surname as Moss:
              24 Upper York Street, Marylebone
              Charlotte Moss Head W 41 Tailoress Middx Paddington
              Edward Do Son U 17 Do Do
              Cecil Do Son 14 Midx Marylebone

There is also a Frederick Moss age 26 born London at the same address with his family.
              KiteRunner

Comment

I was going to suggest getting James's birth certificate (he would have been born 1839-40) and / or Cecil's death certificate (if he was James's father then he would have died 1838-1851) but I can't see either of them on FreeBMD. Hmmm, have to think about this one overnight...
                KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Mary

Thanks for your replies..I will have a look at the NA site and will approach Bath RO if I can make the link.

Kiterunner
                  Thanks to you also

I have Alfred and his line through to 1901(1861 census, miss-transcribed as More) I am unable to find a death for Cecil, as he was not shown in the census with Charlotte and children, I assume he had died prior to the 1841 census.

1851 was the last census I could find Charlotte in. She was with two sons, Edward and Cecil, I suppose they are miss-transcribed after that as I found no trace of them post 1851.
                  Possible death for Edward in Chelsea 1873 but nothing for Charlotte or Cecil.

Clutching at another straw....If Mose is a welsh name, it could at least put them in the right location for the Bath marriage.....

Trish

Comment

I searched the burials on FMP and there are lots of Mose burials.

However, none for Charlotte or Cecil. They seem to be mainly in the southern counties.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:
                    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

If you can get a copy of the parish register entry for Cecil and Charlotte's marriage, it may give you a few more clues, for instance the names of the witnesses.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Elizabeth

Thanks for trying..I will keep looking for incorrect transcriptions on census to see if I can narrow down the deaths.

Trish

Comment

Thanks Kiterunner

That's a good thought..I will contact them to see if they can help me.

Trish

Have sent a request to IHGS via Ancestry...fingers crossed
                          Last edited by Tricia Green; 27-09-08, 15:22.

Comment

Working...
                          X