W Lemmon Warde, actor, passenger lists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W Lemmon Warde, actor, passenger lists

Could someone take a look on Ancestry passenger lists for me please?

Spurred on by Velma's request or theatricals I'm looking again at my distant relation Ethel Sara Beatrice Miles b1877 Newport Monmouth who at marriage in 1908 described herself as an actress. I can find nothing on her theatrical career (have all the census entries), but her husband William Lemmon Warde, actor (b 1871 Exeter) appears on Ancestry New York passenger lists & NY port ship images.

(Have also found him on google books in a Galsworthy play)

He doesn't seem to show up on the outbound lists on FMP.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

No, I can't see him there either, but he's on Ancestry. Not sure if it's before or after his marriage.

Comment

Jill, it looks like he was on tour, as there are a whole lot of ''artistes'' with him! They arrived from Liverpool via Queenstown, Ireland, at New York on Nov 5th 1888 on the Umbria. Born circa 1868. He is with a George Warde b. circa 1827 Both British. Let me know if you want more
        All the best
        Janexxx
        To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Comment

Thanks for looking, I don't think I'll pursue him any further, as I was hoping it was after he married into my family & he might be with his wife, he would only be a lad at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
            Thanks for looking, I don't think I'll pursue him any further, as I was hoping it was after he married into my family & he might be with his wife, he would only be a lad at that time.
            Okay, no problem ;)
            To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Comment

Hi Jill are you related to Ethel Sara Beatrice Miles

Comment

Hello Pam

Welcome to FTF!

It might be worth sending Jill a direct PM, as soon as you find you are able to do so. There's always a risk that she may not spot your posting here, depending on what settings she has in place, with her last posting having been so long ago. As I type, she is registering as being logged in, so you may get a rseult.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hello Pam and welcome to FTF, I got your message just before I went out this morning, and am about to send you a personal message. If you have a look at the GEDCOM section on the toolbar at the top of the page you will be able to search to see any other relatives we have in common.

Jill

Comment

Just bumping this up for Sharry, who has Lemmon-Warde interests.

Comment

Hello there, I am interested in the name Lemmon-Warde. The father of William the actor appears to have been a George Warde. Have found my grandfather William Laurence Lemmon Warde, born Birmingham district in 1884. His father was George Warde and his mother Dorcas Thomasine (nee Foote). There are Lemmon-Warde's in Britain, Australia and South Africa, and plenty of Warde's in America. I am particularly interested in how the name Lemmon came to be attached to Warde, maybe through marriage, as it seems to go back quite a way. I am in South Africa and my grandfather is buried in Durban, SA, with his first wife Kate (no maiden name given) who died in 1915 aged 35. They had 3 sons, George, William & Charles (my father). I would be truly grateful if anyone has info, or is connected in any way to any of these names.

Comment

Hello Sharry & welcome to the forum.

Do you have the birth certificate for William Laurence Lemmon Warde? It should have the father's profession on it (unless he's described as a gentleman)

On his marriage cert of 1908 William Lemmon Warde the actor's father was a George Warde too, also an actor, the witness was another William Warde.

I've found your Dorcas in 1891 as a widow born Ifracombe, Devon c1866 with son WLL & daughter PDL (Priscilla Daisy) Warde living with her aunt Maria Turlond(?) in Birmingham.

In 1881 Dorcas Foote b c1864 Ifracombe is an actress boarding in Swansea, Wales and another boarder is Maria Foote another actress b c1860 Isle of Wight.

Comment

I've done a bit more digging and found in the 1871 census my William the actor as a baby aged 5 months with a George H Ward aged 7 b Birmingham and Priscilla Ward actress aged 32 born Warwick visiting John & Maria Turland.

RG10; Piece: 3084; Folio: 18; Page: 29

Comment

Administration entry for 5th Septmber 1893

WARD George Henry of Spring-road Edgbaston Birmingham play actor died 28 April 1888 at Newport Monmouthshire Administration 5th September to Dorcas Thomasine Ward widow £119 18s.

Comment

From “The Era” London May 5th 1888

Sudden death of an actor
                              A painful incident occurred during the engagement of
                              Mr H Bourne’s Man to Man company at the Victoria
                              Theatre, Newport (Mon.) last week. Mr Harry Lemmon,
                              who had been been appearing as the Rev. Philip
                              Ormond left the theatre on Friday evening apparently
                              in his usual health. He proceeded to his lodgings
                              intending to leave on Saturday morning for Car-
                              lisle, where he had arranged to join the Siberia com-
                              pny, having been engaged to play the part of Sparta,
                              the spy. At an early hour, however, he was seized
                              with an apopleptic fit, from the effects of which he
                              expired in about forty minutes, despite the efforts of
                              three medical men who were called in. The deceased
                              was married to Miss Doris Foote, and was exceedingly
                              popular with the other members of Mr Bourne’s com-
                              pany. His relatives were at once communicated with,
                              much sympathy being felt for them in their bereave-
                              ment. Mr Harry Lemmon’s last London engagement
                              was with Mr Henry Gascoigne at the Marylebone
                              Theatre. The actor’s real name was George Henry
                              Warde. The remains were interred in Old Edgbaston
                              churchyard on Tuesday.

and on the same page

DIED suddenly, at Newport (Mon.), Apr 28th
                              1888, George Henry Warde, son of Mr George Warde,
                              generally known as Harry Lemmon. Interred at Old
                              Edgbaston Churchyard, May 3d 1888, deeply regretted
                              by all who knew him.

Comment

Lemmon Warde

Jill, you are an absolute star!! Thank you so much for taking the time to do all this research for me. I haven't had the funds to subscribe to the ancestry website yet, but will do so next month. Our exchange rate is almost 13:1 at the moment so it is a bit steep.

You have taken great strides for me and it seems that the father (George Warde) of my grandad William Laurence (born 1884) whose birth certificate I now have, is a brother of William the actor. By the way he, my great-grandfather was an actor, according to the birth certificate. The George Warde who sailed with William in 1888 was, I think, my great-great grandfather, father of George Henry and his brother William the actor. Obviously he called himself "Harry Lemmon", as his father went by his own name, George Warde. I must now get his birthdate which I should imagine is c1860-65 and send for his birth certificate. I will probably find that Actor George's wife was a Lemmon and he used his second name Henry(Harry) and his mother's maiden name as a stage name.

This is so exciting! I can't thank you enough.

Best regards
                                Sharry

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                                Hello Sharry & welcome to the forum.

Do you have the birth certificate for William Laurence Lemmon Warde? It should have the father's profession on it (unless he's described as a gentleman)

On his marriage cert of 1908 William Lemmon Warde the actor's father was a George Warde too, also an actor, the witness was another William Warde.

I've found your Dorcas in 1891 as a widow born Ifracombe, Devon c1866 with son WLL & daughter PDL (Priscilla Daisy) Warde living with her aunt Maria Turlond(?) in Birmingham.

In 1881 Dorcas Foote b c1864 Ifracombe is an actress boarding in Swansea, Wales and another boarder is Maria Foote another actress b c1860 Isle of Wight.

Comment

I've found the Ward/Lemmon marriage in a newspaper of the time, it seem's George Henry's father went by the stage name of George Warde though his birth name was John George Ward(e).

The Era 18 Jan 1863, Theatrical marriage: on the 5th Inst at Edgbaston Old Church by the Rev J Spooner, John George Warde of the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane to Miss Priscilla Lemmon of the Theatres Royal Birmingham, Newcastle, Bradford &c.

Should you wish to get the marriage cert the ref is March quarter 1863, Priscilla Lemmon, King's Norton district 6c 477 and as I mentioned in a pm it can be bought for £9.25 from the official site

Your 2x great grandfather George also put an announcement in the same paper when his father died, he was John George Ward born c1803 died 13 Apr 1887 at Leamington Spa, he appears on the census as a shoemaker.

Comment

Shirley, I got your email about your problem with incoming emails and as mine to you are still bouncing back (so are Jason's) I'm just putting a message here to let you know I'm still trying.

Comment

Working...
                                    X