Great uncle - was he in WW1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great uncle - was he in WW1?

Some of you may remember a couple of weeks ago me asking for help on my great uncle Alfred George Newey, he was always known as George.
    He was "on the stage" as the family termed it and seemed to disappear after 1912.

I have been searching The Stage Archive and have found a few references that look like him from 1899 to 1914. The one in 1914 is about a concert party by members of the Manchester Regiment in Filey.
    Before that, the last reference was in 1908 at Garthland Saltcoats NB (wherever that is)

It describes the show and amongst others mentions a Sergeant NEWEY who was a baritone. My George Newey was also a baritone as this is mentioned a few times in the references I found.

Was this him? I have looked on the Commonwealth war Graves site, The Medal Rolls and the pension records on Ancestry but I can't see him.

Any ideas?

I know he went to USA and returned in 1912 but nothing after that.

Oh, he was born in 1876 in London but lived most of his early life in Burton on Trent, Staffs

I'd certainly say that was very plausible, but where to look to verify...

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've just tried putting in NOR* and NEW*.

I do get Hits, but they're all alternative names for ones where the original entry has a surname starting no later than H.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There are still LOTS more WW1 records to appear on Ancestry, so you might see him when they finally appear!
        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thank you Christine and Ann for your comments. It is so frustrating not knowing what happened to him.

I read the snippet about him being in the Manchester Regiment and then searched the Commonwealth War Graves with dread. Didn't find him on there and I know he is obviously dead but I felt sick whilst I was searching. Daft isn't it. :o

Can't see him on the Medal Rolls either. He perhaps didn't leave this country.

Comment

Thanks Val but that's not him. He was actually born in Mayfair. His parents were in service.

Comment

thats a shame thought it was a unusual name obviously not , good luck

Comment

Working...
              X