88 Connaught Rangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 Connaught Rangers

I am very fortunate to have just received a copy of a letter sent to my great-grandmother by her brother, John McCusker, dated March 1877. He was in the 88 Connaught Rangers and was in Komgha, South Africa.

I'd thought / hoped I'd be able to search for him in the National Archives site, but have been going round in circles.
    Would SKS, please, be able to have a search, so I would know if there are records at Kew of his service in the army? And, if anything can be found, would I be able to download it, or have to go to Kew, please? I'd really like to know if he was still in the 88 Connaught Rangers in 1879, because he would have been in the Zulu war then. There are several fascinating sites about the 88 Connaught Rangers.

Thank you for this reading this.
    Joy

I can't find anything, but that doesn't mean much. You'd need to go to Kew to see the records unless you can find him in the index and use the ref to order photocopies.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank you very much for looking.
      Joy

Comment

He wouldn't be indexed on the National Archives Catalogue. His discharge papers might well be at Kew, but you'd have to go there to search. If no dischargre papers survive for him then you could search the muster rolls for detail of where he was and when, but that is a lengthy search.
        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
          He wouldn't be indexed on the National Archives Catalogue. His discharge papers might well be at Kew, but you'd have to go there to search. If no dischargre papers survive for him then you could search the muster rolls for detail of where he was and when, but that is a lengthy search.

Thank you.
          Joy

Comment

Working...
          X