Egerton family line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egerton family line

I have been tracing the Egerton family side of my ancestory and have followed the line back to 1692. At the marriage of Matthew Gladden to Elizabeth on 27 09 1692 I find the first mention of Egerton as an "aliasEgerton"
    I can find no reason for this name change and I would appreciate any help in finding the reason.
    Many thanks, John.

Illegitimacy is the usual reason for an alias name to appear in a church register.

However, there may be other reasons - a bequest in a will of someone with no male children, who wishes the name to be carried forward.

What was the occupation of your man?

OC

Comment

Egerton

Matthew Gladden was a butcher,baptised in 1669 he was married to Elizabeth Fraunce, Egerton alias on marriage in 1692. I cannot find any earlier Egertons, Matthews father was a Thomas Gladden of Middlewitch and the Gladden line goes back to a Thomas Gladden, baptised in 1582.All descendants of Matthew carry the Egerton name.
      Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Hiya john...just for the record..the Gladden family were very prominent in Lymm in chesire from 1617 to 1640...only 23 years ...then they seem to disappear...a couple were then babtised in Alderely Edge,cheshire...if you go to google CPRDb (cheshire parish records)..you will find the babtisms of 15 "Gladdens" from these dates in Lymm and A/edge....could be Matthews ancestors you never know...maybe some connection you could find...good luck...allan;)
        ADDED...There are 2 marriage for FRAUNCE on cprdb..a very unusual name and 2 babtisms in 1598 and 1610 (one in Neston and one in chester st john the babtise ) for FRAUNCEs...allan
        ADDED AGAIN...103 EGERTONS from 1559(mostly Nantwich)..ON CPRDB SITE....ONE ELIZABETH EGERTON babtised 5th september 1675 ..father Joseph Egerton..in Nantwich...don`t think Nantwich and Middlewich are that far away??..Allan
        Last edited by garstonite; 27-09-08, 04:54.
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
        oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
        adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
        merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
        coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Egerton

Many thanks for your reply, I will chase up the Egerton side through the Cheshire registers.

Comment

Egerton is a common Cheshire name from the humble ones in my tree to the landed gentry

[QUOTEMatthews father was a Thomas Gladden of Middlewitch and the Gladden line goes back to a Thomas Gladden, baptised in 1582.][/quote]

That would be Middlewich - do you know which church, is it St Michael & All Angels?
            Last edited by jean; 27-09-08, 11:06.
            Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

John
              I have Egertons in my tree - my ggrandmother was Elizabeth Egerton, born 1871 in Manchester. Is it possible we have a connection?
              Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Now this is a real outsider but I'll throw it into the pot anyway!

If his parents married during the interregnum (a civil ceremony) then some priests got huffy if the parents did not remarry in church when the interregnum was over, and considered any children of that union to be illegitimate.

Unfortunately, if the parents DID marry in a civil ceremony, you are unlikely to be able to find this marriage as most of the civil records were destroyed.

However, some priests made valiant efforts to record what had gone on under the civil regime and others recreated registers from what their parishioners told them afterwards.

Just a thought....

OC

Comment

The only Elizabeth in a non direct line was baptised 1790 and married a John Harrison. I have so far only traced my direct descendants so there may be a link I have not traced.

Comment

Does anyone have anything on Elizabeth Egerton born 1785 in Highworth Wiltshire and married Charles Tubb in 1813 in Hungerford Berkshire?

I just wonder if some Egertons moved south! Any help much appreciated,,
                    Regards
                    Fortuna

Comment

Egerton-Gladdin

Originally posted by john northrop View Post
                      I have been tracing the Egerton family side of my ancestory and have followed the line back to 1692. At the marriage of Matthew Gladden to Elizabeth on 27 09 1692 I find the first mention of Egerton as an "aliasEgerton"
                      I can find no reason for this name change and I would appreciate any help in finding the reason.
                      Many thanks, John.
                      John, although it is years since your post, you may be interested to know that Matthew Gladden's younger brother Jeremiah Gladden married Elizabeth Somerfield and they baptized all their children "alias Egerton" also. These baptisms were in the period 1705-1720. I think it is almost certain that Matthew and Jeremiah were the illegitimate offspring of an Egerton sire, or their father was perhaps.

Comment

they may be connected to the egerton baronets of wrinehill, they had land in cheshire and staffs.

Comment

Working...
                        X