Robert Wilson -Master Mariner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Wilson -Master Mariner

Hi there- I am new at this tho I have been finding my family tree members for about three years now.
    Robert Wilson is a bit of a mystery - he is listed on his daughters wedding certificate (1872) as Master Mariner but does not appear to be on any census returns - we do not know anything about him really. I tried looking at the fiche Lloyds Captains register at Kew but although I could make out a number of R.Wilsons they were so difficult to read I could not get anywhere.
    R Wilson's wife is called Maryann and she states on the census returns that she was born in Whittingham, Northumberland in 1827 - we found her in the baptism reg born illegitimate to Ann Wilson servant reference Lanehead Whittingham - and we can follow her through from the 1851 census to her death. She and Robert had 7 children the eldest William was killed in the Harley Pit disaster aged 12. Maryann lived in Tynemouth for most of her married life but William was born in Alnwick. This made us check the Border marriages to see if we could find Robert and Maryann - still no luck!
    Any suggestions would be welcome.
    Ros

Other family names Appleby, Cunningham, Howe, Hutton, Longmire, Lindsley, Marsh. Walker, Wilson, Wilson - Howard, Worrall,

Welcome to FTF!
    do you know when they got married?

Comment

Hi Tessie,
      Thanks for the post!
      No but William was born in 1850 so we have checked from 1846 to 1852 but had no luck. We thought maybe they could have married on board ship but have no idea where we could look.
      Ros

Comment

where was he born?

Comment

Something else we are not sure about - There are several Robert Wilsons who could be ours and there is certainly another Robert Wilson Master Mariner with a family living in Northumberland and Durham areas. We know that our Robert Wilson died between 1872 and 1881 as Maryann refers to herself as widow in the '81 census. I found a ship with Robert Wilson as captain which sank in I think October 1872. It was called the Scott but I can't find any further details about that one either!!

Comment

Working...
          X