scottish tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scottish tree

is there any way i could trace my family tree on my maternal side of family in scotland i only have very basic information which is JOHN SCOTT born in the gorbals glasgow approximate birth year around 1910 or am i wasting my time even trying his wifes name was sophia thanks for any help

Are you wanting to go backwards or forwards?

First thing to do is to get either John's birth cert or marriage cert.

You can search for this on Scotland's People and order an extract for £10. Once you have those, it becomes much easier and cheaper to search Scottish relatives, as you can download certs more than 100 years old from that site at a cost of £1.20 - 20p to seach, £1 to download and/or view.

OC

Comment

I would say that you need to get John's marriage certificate before his birth certificate, so that you have his father's name and occupation which you will then be able to check against the birth certificate.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Like KiteRunner, I would search for marriage certs of John Scott to Sophia after 1920 to see how many marriages there were.

It will cost 1 credit to look at each page of the results. Each record will show the district and county of the marriage.

My search, from 1900 for all areas/counties only shows two marriages, both before 1920!

A search for birth for John Scott, Gorbals, gives 25 records on one page; again 1 credit to view them.

You get 30 credits for 6 GBP, and you only pay if you view a page(s). It costs 5 credits to view an image, which can be downloaded. Do you really need the hardcopy cert wich costs 10 GBP? Have just remembered that for certs after about 1900 there are no images available so you do need the hardcopy cert.

Hugo

Comment

thanks very much i tried to find his birth and marriage but could not find any sadly i do not know sophia`s maiden name as that would probably been a help thanks again any way for the quick response

Comment

If John and Sophia had a child then the child's birth certificate will tell you Sophia's maiden name.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
            X