Help for Tessie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for Tessie

One of our members, tessie, is having trouble with her William Robert Hatch who was supposed to have been born Bierlow/Sheffield about 1872. We have him in 1891 and 1901 but not 1881.

After much searching, I keep looking back at this 1871 family

RG10; Piece: 4684; Folio: 35; Page: 15

and wondering if they went on to have William Robert who could be this registration:

Births Mar 1873
    HATCH Robert Ecclesall B. 9c 351

but I can't find them in 1881. The youngest dau from the 1871 census, Rebecca, died before 1881, but I'm struggling to find the rest of them. Rebecca's birth was in Sheffield, but her death was in Ecclesall Bierlow district in 1874, so the same place Robert was registered in 1873.

Can you find the Hatch family in 1881?

I have been having a look Merry - saw your comment on the other post.

If anyone is trying to see if they are at the same address in 1881 I have had a look and cannot see a Surrey Place in 1881, although there is a Surrey Street which seems to border the same road names as Surrey Place in 1871.
    This census ref takes you to Surrey Street - RG11; Piece: 4650; Folio: 30; Page: 12 - but I cannot see them there, although there are quite a few unoccupied houses.

Not a lot of help really - but just trying to save someone else time if they are thinking of doing the same sort of search!
    Elaine

Comment

I can find the eldest child in 1891 - and you would think with a name like Aaron you would be able to find him in 1881! :(
      Elaine

Comment

Well, I suppose if Aaron's missing, it makes Robert more likely to be from this family as he seems to be missing to (though Aaron ought to have left home by 1881?). As the father is William I can see how Robert might have eventually become William Robert, esp if William never had the chance to call a child after himself!

Comment

Just guessing, but what I can see on the 1891 census for Aaron, it looks as if he married in Lincolnshire in 1884 - so he may well have been at home in 1881.
          It's a relatively unusual name at that time, so just searching on the first name should have brought up some sort of result - unless of course it is spelt incorrectly or mistranscribed!
          Elaine

Comment

The father won't be on the 1881:

Deaths Dec 1880
            Hatch William 53 Ecclesall B. 9c 202

but I would have perhaps expected his wife to be in that area still.......

Comment

On the other hand, maybe not:

Deaths Mar 1880
              Hatch Mary Ann 49 Sheffield 9c 245
              Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 26-09-08, 13:38.

Comment

Just found a tree on Ancestry for Aaron - and the submitter hasn't got the 1881 census either!
                No siblings listed for Aaron.
                Elaine

Comment

I think this could be Elizabeth hatch from 1871

Lizzie Hatch born c 1861 Sheffield, Yorkshire
                  Lodger
                  Address: 127 Pond St

Other members in household:
                  Ellen Beaumont 20
                  Henry Beaumont
                  William Beaumont 23
                  Lizzie Hatch 20

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 4651; Folio: 148; Page: 32; Line: ; GSU roll: 1342124.

Post edited - Please do not copy and past from sites such as Ancestry as it violates copyright regulations.
                  Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 26-09-08, 13:50. Reason: copyright
                  Jeanette
                  Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

I suppose if tessie were to get the marriage cert for William Robert Hatch and it says father William, stone waller (or similar), dec'd, we woud be onto a winner!!

Comment

And James from 1871

Name: James Hatch born c 1864 Norton Derbyshire
                      Pauper

address "Sheffield Union Workhouse" Fir Vale

post edited - copyright
                      Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 26-09-08, 13:51. Reason: copyright
                      Jeanette

Comment

Well done Jeanette

I think I saw Ros* Hatch as a servant aged 15 or so in 1881.

I bet Robert is with his brother Aaron :(

Comment

Found this one in 1881
                          RG11; Piece: 4651; Folio: 105; Page: 7;

Rose Hatchet - servant - born 1866 Sheffield
                          Elaine

Comment

I suppose James being in the workhouse would perhaps support the fact that that's his parents deaths that you found Merry.

I keep coming back to this 1881 entry. I'm wondering if Thomas fits into the family somewhere. I know it says Bradford but I suppose it's all the same to a Lancastrian :( :D

Name: William Hatch born c1873 Bradford Yorkshire
                            - shows as adapted son
                            Street address: 15 Hardy St Bowling Yorkshire
                            Scholar

Other household members
                            Aaron Farrar 61
                            Martha Farrar 59
                            Margaret Hatch 39
                            Thomas Hatch 47
                            William Hatch 8

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 4436; Folio: 8; Page: 9; Line: ; GSU roll: 1342060.

POST EDITED
                            Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 26-09-08, 14:02. Reason: Please do not copy and paste from sites such as Ancestry as it violates copyright regulations
                            Jeanette

Comment

Jeanette,
                              I think that entry you have found relates to

William Henry Hatch born c1873 Bradford

1891 census : RG12; Piece: 3649; Folio 76; Page 3;
                              1901 census: RG13; Piece: 4182; Folio: 97; Page: 9.

- not William Robert Hatch born c1873 Sheffield / Ecclesall Bierlow
                              Elaine

Comment

Ok Elaine....I'm still looking
                                Jeanette

Comment

Well, I can't find him. I think the best thing for Tessie to do is to send for that marriage cert so we have a definite handle on his father
                                  Jeanette

Comment

thanks everyone! I have this marriage for him in 1895 4th quarter. I will order after I have had my tea. I am going away for a few days so hopefully I will have it late next week or early week after. I can't thank you guys enough for your help!

Comment

could this be aaron? RG11; Piece: 3760; Folio: 57; Page: 14;
                                      No closer to william though!

Comment

I have some Sheffield burial records.

The William Hatch who died in 1880 was buried on the 21st November 1880. He was 53, as stated. His address was Carver Street, and he was buried in St. Michael's RC Cemetery.
                                        He seems to be the only Hatch in any of the 5 cemeteries I have, though
                                        Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Working...
                                        X