Birth certificate still not arrived!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth certificate still not arrived!

The ongoing saga of an application I made for a birth certificate for OH's great-grandfather.

Sheffield City Council have an index of bmds which you can search on the web. I found the birth for John Henry Frost in 1850, together with a reference number.

I printed off the form, sent a letter and a cheque and a stamped addressed envelope (1st class) on 23rd August.

Two weeks later I phoned up - they said another 1-2 weeks.

Heard nothing, so I started chasing last week. Someone was meant to phone back but didn't. On Friday last week I phoned again. All the other applications received on the same date had gone out - she couldn't understand what had happened to mine. She thought perhaps the archivist couldn't find the record, but I pointed out I had given them their own reference.

Off she went, and to be fair she phoned back and said she'd found the application in a register. She said it would be sent out on Monday this week as it had to be printed.

I have received nothing. I phoned on Wednesday and yesterday - yes, they confirmed it had been sent out 1st class on Monday.

Still nothing today. Does anyone think it will still arrive?

I phoned up again - they have told me that I will need to claim from the Royal Mail. They will provide proof of postage. However, I have to wait 15 working days after posting.

If I want the certificate I will have to re-order. I did suggest that since their customer service was so poor, they might send me one free of charge. The only concession they made was that they would deal with it as "priority" if I write a covering letter.

I'm feeling very annoyed.... :(
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

I got one from GRO in ten days to my door in Brisbane. But if I order one from Brisbane it's ten weeks...........

Comment

Working...
    X