Armed Forces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armed Forces?

If you suspect one of your ancestors were in the armed forces, pre WW1, where can you find out?

Thanks

Tracy

Hi Tracy,

pre WW1 army records are held at the National Archives in Kew.

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
    Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Raven View Post
      Hi Tracy,

pre WW1 army records are held at the National Archives in Kew.
      Thanks Raven...... just wish I didn't work full time...... and could get down there!!! LOL

Comment

If your ancestor is not too ancient, it's worth checking the Ancstry WW1 records.
        I found one of gt granpa's brothers. He was born abt 1857 and it says that he enlisted in the Army Transport Corps in September 1888 (Army Reserve)

Just had another look at his record ... it's a bit difficult and there's not a great deal of it but on another page it has him in 1876 and aged 19 yrs 6 months

Not sure what letter of the alphabet they're up to (surnames)

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 26-09-08, 21:31.
        ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
          If your ancestor is not too ancient, it's worth checking the Ancstry WW1 records.
          I found one of gt granpa's brothers. He was born abt 1857 and it says that he enlisted in the Army Transport Corps in September 1888 (Army Reserve)

Just had another look at his record ... it's a bit difficult and there's not a great deal of it but on another page it has him in 1876 and aged 19 yrs 6 months

Not sure what letter of the alphabet they're up to (surnames)

Hi Rachel

I'm looking for the M's!

Comment

The browsing initials go up to Y, so (theoretically) you're in with a chance.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Really? I thought they'd only got up to H.

Comment

It's only the missorts in the main series (WO363) which go to the end of the alphabet. They are a VERY small proportion of the records. The main series of WO363 only goes up to H so far.
                The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I thought I'd posted something about this - must have been on the wrong thread! :o Or there's another thread about something similar.

I tried putting names in which started NEW* and NOR* and found that the only hits I got were for corrected names, where the original entry had had a surname starting with a letter no later than H - which was what I had expected.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                  X