Apprenticeship records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apprenticeship records

I found a many x great uncle John Ash being apprenticed as a plaisterer in the London Apprenticeship Abstracts in 1780. I know from the baptisms of several of John's siblings that his father Robert was also a plaisterer but he doesn't appear in the records as being apprenticed. Is he likely to appear in any other (fuller?) form of the records - at the Guildhall for example?
    Asa

He will appear on the list of Freemen if he completed his apprenticeship.

I found my Gabriel that way.
    Gwynne

Comment

Good morning me dear and thank you. Where will I find that then:-)
      Asa

Comment

And what would I find there?
        Asa

Comment

Well, I found Gabriel in Norfolk Record Office, it gave the name of his Master and his trade, and why he was a freeman. In his case a time served apprentice.

I found the Aldreds on an LDS film of Freemen of Gt Yarmouth which just listed names, occcupation and reason why.

So the RO would be the place to start.
          Gwynne

Comment

I'm sure that Cliff Webb's indexes will tell you where the information came from - and it is likely to be the Guildhall. (for info on guilds, lol!)

They have wonderful coverage for some of the guilds. Perversely, if he became a freeman of the city, I think those records are with the City of London (RO? AS?). I cannot remember whether they are being housed at the LMA, but I know that they are usually closed on Saturdays.

It is worth checking how your man got his freedom. It may be that if he were apprenticed, rather than obtaining it by patrimony, that his father was not a freeman himself.
            Phoenix - with charred feathers
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

For London you will find Apprenticeship records at the Guildhall Lobrary BUT if your ancestor is from an area that is now London but was formerly Middlesex, Essex, Surrey or Kent then you will find Apprenticeship Records at the appropiate CRO for those aeas, ie Middlesex will be Metropolitan Archives, Essex will be Chelmsford etc. For all apprenticeships outside of London then these records will be found in the CRO of the county in which your ancestor was apprenticed. I have found apprenticeship records for my ancestors in the CRO at Northants and they are very informative.

A typical record is couched in very legal terms binding the person for seven years and will usually tell you the age of the person being apprenticed and the person apprenticed to as well sometimes the reason for apprenticeship. I had a boy of 10 apprenticed to a tailor 1730 because he was receiving poor law assistance, and his father named as being "transported overseas!" There are red seals all over the document. You can usually digitally photograph the document without flash as they do not like to photocopy if the document has seals. Some CRO allow you to do this without charge and some do charge.

Janet
              Last edited by Janet; 26-09-08, 10:39.

Comment

Thanks very much everyone - I don't know where Robert (John's father) came from yet, although he was Hoxton by 1757 so I suspect the Guild Hall is where I need to try first.
                Asa

Comment

Working...
                X